Brake help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake help!!!

rileyrs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger
okay so im replacing the brakes on a 2002 4wd ford ranger. i started on the passenger side and all went well.
then on the drivers side, i removed the caliper, and am now trying to remove the rotor, and it wont come off. the wheel lugs are off obviously, and the caliper is off, so why wont the rotor come off!?
i stuck a bar between it and the steering knuckle and pried as hard as nothin.
banged on the back of the rotor for twenty mins with a rubber hammer, still nothin.
then sprayed everything with liquid wrench, and tried this again and still nothin.

so i decided i would remove the whole hub with the rotor still on it. i took the nut off the end of the hub, and the hub and rotor wont come off either!

the passenger side rotor slid off easily, so why is this one so hard. is there some secret bolt holding this side on somewhere?

i would like to get this project done soon.
any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ps.
i also tried heating it up, i may have even overdone that, cuz the rotor caught on fire for a second, anyway though, i still cant get the damn thing off, it seems to be heavily rusted on, so any help would be great. thanks, riley

Are you replacing the rotors?
Then just hammer the living **** out of it all over, its probably rusted as hell where it mounts, or goto AutoZone, and rent one of the (at least) 12" pullers, idk what exactly theyre called, but its like 3 or 4 arms with a lip on each end to put behind the rotor, then the middle goes right on the hub (i think) then you just crank it like a vice and it will come off...

Are you replacing the rotors?
Then just hammer the living **** out of it all over, its probably rusted as hell where it mounts, or goto AutoZone, and rent one of the (at least) 12" pullers, idk what exactly theyre called, but its like 3 or 4 arms with a lip on each end to put behind the rotor, then the middle goes right on the hub (i think) then you just crank it like a vice and it will come off...

im replacing the rotors, so i just followed your advice, and it came off!
thanks a ton

btw i considered doing this at first but was worried it would damaged something,
but i went for it, and it seems fine, so im set.

so now im headed out to buy new pads and rotors.
any recommendations on what to use?
it has to be something napa carries since thats where i will be going ( they are close).
is it worth using better aftermarket rotors over OEM replacements? whats the price difference?
anything helps thanks

Eh, im 17, and work part time at krogers LOL, but once I get the PS pump for the 95 I just got, the first thing im doing, is putting cross drilled rotors on, and a set of ceramic pads (for the front) (im not too worried about the back, mainly because the brake ratio is something like 80:20)

The cross drilled rotors are anywhere from about 110$ all the way to like $400, which is way too much to spend. But I think of it as $110, or a couple thousand for a new ex if I cant stop to avoid smoking something or whatnot.

As for the pads, im not too sure, those are probably up there, ill probably just get another good set of Duralasts, which is what I have on my 92 and theyre GREAT, paid like 24$ out the door at autozone for em.

Back