• Register Today It's free!

Brake light switch failure

silverfox103

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton NH & St. Simons GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Lincoln Aviator
Parked the Aviator downtown to do a couple of errands., Came back, started right up. Cannot put the car in gear. As I have had to replace part of the linkage, that was my first thought. But symptoms were different. I had the Mrs. take a look at the brake lights while I pushed the pedal...........no brake lights. I knew most likely there was a problem with the brake light switch and an interlock between the pedal and the gear shift. Being on Main St., it was no place for me to fiddle with that thing, even though I live in a small New England town, there is a steady flow of traffic.

I went to my mechanics and gave him the key. Well sure enough, it's starts right up for him.....my luck. I went down to retrieve it and brought it to his shop. He replaced the switch and everything has been fine. Under $94 for everything, so I was happy. Replacing the switch, I easily could have done, but didn't want to miss something that needed to be replaced.

I like the Aviator, but it's just another thing in the long list of repairs.

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was looking for that. Where is it located in a 2003 Aviator?

Go to page 225

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/03231og3e.pdf

Brake-shift interlock This vehicle is equipped with a brake-shift interlock feature that prevents the gearshift lever from being moved from P (Park) when the ignition is in the ON position unless brake pedal is depressed. If you cannot move the gearshift lever out of P (Park) with ignition in the ON position and the brake pedal depressed: 1. Apply the parking brake, turn the ignition to LOCK, then remove the key. 2. Locate the access panel on the driver side of the floor console. Using a screwdriver (or equivalent), pry the access panel off the floor console.
3. Using the screwdriver (or equivalent), push the white plastic override mechanism (located behind the bracket) toward the roof of the vehicle as shown in the illustration. 4. Move the gearshift lever back to N (Neutral) (two places from P [Park]). 5. Start the vehicle and release the parking brake. If it is necessary to use the above procedure to move the gearshift lever, it is possible that a fuse has blown or the vehicle’s brakelamps are not operating properly. Refer to Fuses and relays in the Roadside emergencies chapter.

Back