Brake Light Switch Question

twy07

Reaction score
City, State
Reston Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt v8
Greetings ,

I took my 02 X v8 to the shop today for recall fix on the cruise...also..my brake light switch is bad..lights have been staying on...and if mess with the peddle...they go off...also the cruise has stopped working as a result.

My question is...the shop quoted me 275$ to fix the switch..that sounded a little high to me :rolleyes:..so i opted out of it. Has anyone else changed this switch themselves...i priced the switch at Advance Auto Parts...10 dollar part..does this sound right ? could use some answers gentlemans..thank you!

besafe!:usa::D

Travis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

brake light switch again..

Does anyone have the step by step how directions ? lol ? ..just thought I would ask. also..the dealership told me the switch had be redesigned...and that the wiring harness would need to be modified to accept the new switch...does this sound right..or BS ???

My Grandpa had the exact same problem in his 02 Eddie Bauer. I simply unhooked the brake light switch, took it off the pedal, popped it open (the square black plastic piece) and pulled the two copper pieces apart gently (you don't want to break them off). Put it all back together. It took care of the problem and hasn't happened since. He had bought a replacement switch at autozone but it wasn't right and was going to require installing a new wiring loom. I decided to just pull the old one apart to see if I could adjust it. Took the autozone switch back. Total cost $0

I had checked with the dealer on a related issue and their switch was $45. They said the switch could be solid state or mechanical, you get a wiring harness to convert possible electronic switch to mechanical. Mechanical is preferred now. Mine was sticking on and I used some spray lubricant and that fixed it for now.

Solution for brake light problems!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261329

has a retainer pin like a cotter pin on the side. pull it out, then slide off the switch.

there's a small bushing there that was tricky to keep on when putting the switch back on.

its not solid state. ford only lists this mechanical contact type.

Tascafordparts.com: 4L2Z13480AB $49.75 plus $10 shipping (Rhode Island)

Autozone: F4862 $11.99

As mentioned above, the part number from AZ was F4862. Take yours out first to compare. Check this link for the reason.

1999-2002 Ford Explorer Brake Light Stop Switch

My brake lights stopped working, therefore I can't get it out of Park unless I have to move the switch back and forth on the pedal lever to get it to the point to where I have brake lights and get it out of park, but not sure whether to replace the whole switch assembly or what. :frustrate

New Ford switch (2002 up) does require wiring harness update.

I have the same issue on a 93 explorer, I cant find where the switch is.
Some places say under the brake pedal, other people say I have remove the dash, & some people say it’s on the brake pedal arm.
I checked everywhere except removing the dash,
I hope I don’t have to.

If anyone has some pics it would help me out alot.
thanks in advance!

Same issue on a 93 explorer

I have the same issue on a 93 explorer, I cant find where the switch is.
Some places say under the brake pedal, other people say I have remove the dash, & some people say it’s on the brake pedal arm.
I checked everywhere except removing the dash,
I hope I don’t have to.

If anyone has some pics it would help me out alot.
thanks in advance!

I was having problems with my brake lights..working..not working..same with cruise...replaced with the auto zone switch in F4862..or what ever it is..anywho..worked great for about a week then back to same..work..no work..work ..no work..took the original one ..ground some of the plastic away from the mount hole back towards the main body of the switch..were the shaft from the brake pedal goes through..and now it works perfect...so I modified the one I bought from auto zone ..but haven tried it yet...so it looks like the shaft that goes through the fire wall to the booster isnt going back far enough to contact the pad inside the back part of the switch..until now

very easy fix all 2002-2005 have this problem i actually have to get one myself,get a flashlight and follow up brake pedal under dash ,unplug pigtail wires ,remove bracket witha basic wrench or socket replace ,plug in wire, get an aftermarket one instead of motorcraft ,standard is a good brand 35 bucks for the switch ,and if u feel uncomfortable doing it yerself find a friend or relative who has basic auto repair skills ,its a pretty easy job ,i found the intructions on e how ,just search 2002 mountaineer brakelight switch ,good luck!

Go to e how ! search 93 explorer brake light switch

Back