Brake Lights not Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Lights not Working

KLeavitt

Reaction score
1996 Explorer, Brake lights not working. Third Brake light is still operational as well as the trailer brake harness. Bulbs are good, (still work on parking lights). Multimeter confirms that no power is going to the bulbs. Chilton's manual and owners manual don't show enough detail to figure out if it is a relay or something. Checked out the brake light switch and it seems to be working (again the third brake light is working!)

Not the fuse since everything else on that circut is working!

Any help would be appreciated!

i had the same problem but it was only my right tail light and also my right blinker too. My lights wern't burnt out or anything cause i checked. It turned out that it was a relay that was the problem. I went to the ford shop cause after finding out that the bulbs wern't out i just thought that i didn't want to spend my time lookin for the relay so it was like $84 dollars or something like that for the $4 relay.

I had this problem once, and my explorer wouldn't shift out of park. I don't know if this was a new thing for 97 or not. It was in fact a relay. I had to put the car in neutral to start it and drive! I guess it was some kind of safety thing Ford designed!

Back