Brake pads

SoNic67

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
I just replaced brake pads on front and rear. For front I used ceramic pads (Wearever Ceramic), for rear I used semi-metalic pads (Wagner ThermoQuiet).
Front ones squeak while they are cold (like after driving on higway or in the morning). Plus they make a mess on the rims!
Are all the ceramics like that?
Front, ceramics:
P1080053.png

Rear, semi-metalics:
P1080054.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The few that I've seen were all pretty messy.

I hate them, a waste of money. I think I will buy ThermoQuiet for front too...
Or maybe the "Motorcraft SuperDuty Brake Pads" 2V001 (BRSD-652) ???

I now use the Wearever Gold, no dust.

I agree they are a waste of money. We ain't drivin race cars. Give me a good quality semi metallic pad for the street.

I use Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic (QC652) for the front and don't notice this mess. It is there for about 8 month now and has been quite and clean.

I was looking at the Wagner MX833/MX652 (semi-metalic). Alternate to their ceramics QC833/QC652. Altough, if they would be less dusty and squeaking, ceramics would be my choice too.
Also I was looking at the "Motorcraft SuperDuty Brake Pads" 2V001 (BRSD-652). I wonder if is a connection with those numbers?

I have Satisfied Ceramics front and rear, very low dust, huge improvement over stock.

Ceramic Pads are known to be relatively dust free.
Are you sure you got the right pad up front?

You really should use the same pad material all around.
The system is designed/proportioned to give you optimal braking under those conditions.

I have ceramic pads front and rears and I love these things! Never any noise and i don't get the rusty dust like I used to with the other pads. I also use my truck to pull my trailer around everywhere so I also opted for the slotted and cross drilled rotors. I am here to say WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Some people don't believe in them but I have 1st hand experience with them while pulling a fully loaded trailer before and after.

I drive 250 miles/week highway during non-rush hour, and I can hit 50,000 miles on stock brakes. Last year, I needed pads and rotors in the front that a national chain replaced. I know that they used "Napa Premium Semi-Metallic Pads" (which my Ford Motor Co. retiree Dad had never heard of surprisingly), and I am not happy with them. I didn't have issues of squelling before, and after the brake service, it is intermittent -- usually after start-up for the first couple times and then comes and goes. I even took the vehicle back to the shop "to have them adjusted", which was done twice. They even test drove the vehicle. I watched as they regreased, double-checked their work, etc. First, I was told, "there may be a break-in period of less than 1,000 miles", then, maybe the weather (it was Feb./march). I heard on another forum that the brakes are known to "cause issues". As far as dust is concerned, I don't think they are as bad as OEM, but I wish I would have let my local Ford dealer put the Motorcraft on. I choose the national chain since they have done work for me before and were cheaper. Now, I'm leaning towards having the dealer do future OEM work. It also helps that I've built up a relationship with the dealer that I actually trust. I can't say that about most of the other shops I've gone to. Hope I didn't get off track.

I have installed semi-metalic Wagner ThermoQuiet (MX) on my other car and don't have any issues like this Wearever Ceramics. After what I read here, I tent to belive that ceramics are not all the same... I was hoping they need just more time to bed in. Oh well, it's just money.

Now my bearings started to rumble... Or something there.

Just a quick question - only Eddie Bauer has on front calipers with dual brake pistons?
Because the Motorcraft site lists some "special" pads for Eddie Bauer. I wonder if the shims/back is build different for dual pistons?

Just a quick question - only Eddie Bauer has on front calipers with dual brake pistons?

I know my truck is not an EB and I have dual pistons front calipers. I found that the brakes pads are the same from 95-01 for the EX's - any model

Performance Friction Carbon Metallic front and rear.

No dust, no noise, better performance. They stop better, with better feel and modulation. And they last. Over 100,000 miles one these pads now, combined city, country, and highway driving with both my wife and I.
I'll never go back. I ventured out and put Satisfied ceramics on my car...Hate them. To much noise and dust and no gain in braking performance.

Thanks!
On Motorcraft site they have listed normal pads for EB (BR-114380) and also Motorcraft SuperDuty Brake Pads (BRSD-652) and Disc Brake Pad (BR-47).

I saw somwhere on line some of the brake pads for Explorers listed as "single piston application" - that's why I was confused.
I guess "single piston" is more demanding on backplate than "dual piston"?

Yes, because the pressure is exerted on the center of the pad, leaving the ends without support. Dual piston (supposedly) applies the pad more equally. Personally, I think in a normal street application that it's a solution in search of a problem.

Back