• Register Today It's free!

brake pedal vibration?

NYX

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
Anyone know what might be the cause? Its on a 97 Sport, seems to have started with cold weather, when i come to a complete stop before I do the brake pedal gets hard, starts vibrating like crazy (brakes are pretty much nonfunctional at that point until it goes away 2 or 3 seconds later). Just figured out if you pump the brake really hard as soon as the vibration starts it seems to get the brakes working again. First snowfall of the season and it happened several times in one day. Also happend in cold weather without any snow.
All the rotors and pads were replaced not too long ago. Does this sound like an abs issue, leak or pads etc?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has done that too, cold weather dry pavement. I'm convinced it's ABS but haven't figured out exactly what.

dry, wet, or covered with snow in my case

This is quite normal since cold dry pavement doesn't offer the best traction conditions. There also might be a bit of ice or frost on the road even though it appears dry.

I went through the same thing, but my cause was ignorance. On my old '92 X, i got new front rotors put on at a local Midas shop. I pull out of the shop and stop and my car shakes like crazy. My ABS light was on so they convinced me it was just my ABS and one of the workers explorers did the same thing. After about a week of frustration i take it to another shop and they look and see its missing a few parts including the anti-rattle clips. I quickly drove up to Midas and gave them a piece of my mind and a few choice words. A refund shortly followed.

Back