Brake problems

ahhjaws

Moab Edition Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Hey, I was wondering if any of you could help me with this problem. It started about last month and comes and goes so I don't think too much about it, but now it's really starting to worry me.

When I brake, towards the end when I am almost stopped, my brakes get squishy. It's like the ABS turns on or somthing. You can feel in the pedal a clicky type vibration, and the car stops later than desired. So the brakes kind of fail right when I'm almost stopped.

I checked the fluid level, fine. I checked the pads and shoes, fine. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mASTER CYLINDER HAS A BAD O RING IN IT POSSIBLY.

You have rear drums?

Have you checked for a vacuum leak at the brake booster?
A vacuum leak in the intake manifolds can cause a similar problem, squichy pedal.

I would suspect the master cylinder is getting old if all else checks out.

Does the ABS light come on?

I do have rear drums, I could check the vacuum lines.

The ABS light doesn't go on but the "check brake" light does, but that started a while ago.

How would I know if the master cylinder is bad?

I took it to the car wash and sprayed the brakes really good, incase it was dust or something, and that seemed to help a lot.

I to have this problem, so I'm curiouse to find out what your sollution is.

Try this (I know it sounds weird)

Go in reverse, get up moving pretty good and lock em up.

See if it goes away.

Sounds to me like you need a new master cylinder......
Check for vacuum in the brake booster, easy way to do that is pull the vacuum line off and see if air rushes in........

I'm experiencing the same problem. But I don't have any warning lights being displayed. When my brakes get 'squishy' is when the transmission shifts down to the lowest gear just before a complete stop. I can hear a noise come from the engine compartment when this happens, but it's hard to describe the noise. I have put it in neutral and came to a stop and the brakes don't act up. I have checked the amount of fluid and it's full. With the engine idling I have removed the vac hose from the booster and it seems to be sucking very well. No leaks by the mc nor are there any leaks on any of the 4 corners.
Is there anything else that I should check? I have no idea if it's the mc or the booster. Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thx,

Mike

Back