brake problem?

jmorristn

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
2004 Explorer 4x4 V6 72,000 miles
My pads are all new and new front rotors. If I brake easy or normal the pedal feels fine but if I have to stop a little bit quick I can feel a "snap" feeling in the brake pedal and the pedal moves down and doesn't feel like it is as effect after that as it should be. I'm not sure if the is something with the antilock or not. I've rechecked all the bolts on the front and everything looks fine. Also it does not pull to one side or anything when this happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Similar problem! Could be ABS sensor.

After a new rotor install (At a shop) :mad: I have a similar problem. I have/had a pumping sensation when at almost a stop and the truck pulls/pulled to the right.

I disconnected the ABS sensor wire on the suspect side and the phenomenon went away. (ABS light is now on)

I suspect its the ABS sensor, but the parts store wants $80 for a new front ABS sensor. :(

Try stopping on a loose surface. If its more prevalent, it could be the ABS sensor.

:troops:

I'm not sure if they are the same but on my 02 the part on the wheels that the ABS sensor gets its readings from got all clogged up with road crime. Which caused the sensor to get bad readings. Take off the hub or wheel and look on the back, clean it out. May help .

I think it might be the downshift of the transmission that I'm feeling. I haven't tested it a lot yet but the few times I put the trans in neutral and brake real hard it doesn't do it.

i have the same problem where it feels like its the down shif from 2nd to first did you ever find out what the problem was

mine turned out to be the anti lock brakes, the pressure switch on the master cylinder was too sensitive and was making the anti lock kick in. I jumpered out the switch for now testing it. still need to replace the switch.

let us know if that fixed the problem

yep, that solved the problem i was feeling when i was braking. the anti lock was kicking in and that was the "pop" feeling in the brakes that i could feel. now if nice and smooth when braking.

Back