Brake Rotors & Brake Pads - replacement ?'s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Rotors & Brake Pads - replacement ?'s

Cobra Jet

Reaction score
City, State
Southern, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS
Ok, I've scoured the board by "searching", but I have come across alot of threads with many different answers...

I need to replace the front & rear brake pads and brake rotors on my 2004 Explorer V6 AWD.

I have read old threads in which there seems to be no true answer as to whether or not the Explorers came with ceramic brake pads from the factory or not. When I go to multiple online parts sites (RockAuto, Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc etc etc) - some of those sites state that the OEM pads WERE Ceramic... Some of the responses on here in those old threads state that Ford did not use Ceramic pads from the factory... some state they did...

Which is true???

Also, I'm seeing that some of you state that ceramic pads are not so great and that most seem to use a semi-metallic pad over ceramic (or any other type of pad). I've seen folks agreeing on Wagner, Raybestos, Bendix, EBC, Hawk, Performance Friction, Motorcraft, etc of which each respectible owner likes (or some others dislike)...

Should I go with a semi-metallic pad for a replacement pad? The truck is only used for highway driving, no off roading, nothing beyond normal useage, so I'm really just looking to replace the pads with a good quality pad - not out to get racing equipped pads or heavy duty offroad pads, etc... Are semi-metallic pads the answer?

Also, with regards to rotors - I need to replace front & rears... Again, I've seen differences of opinions with what rotors are great, good & crap... I want a decent rotor that will hopefully be better than the stock rotors (whichever brand those may be...)... Again, I'm looking for a stock replacement "flat" rotor, I don't need a fancy drilled, slotted or both drilled & slotted rotor (which I cannot believe some are using on an SUV).... I've looked up pricing on Brembo, Bendix, Wagner, Raybestos, PBR, Motorcraft, Duralast, Wearever, Guardian, etc... Out of those brands, would'nt you say that Brembos or the PBR's are better over all of the other choices?

The rotors and pads from the factory - does anyone know who supplied those to Ford? Was it PBR, Bendix, Brembo, etc?? I know alot of the calipers that Ford uses on certain vehicles were supplied by PBR.

I've also read up about folks having lots of problems with pulling off the rear rotors. I've seen in a couple of threads that some of you have disconnected the rear E-brake cable, which seems to help with removing the rear rotors. Is removing the e-brake cable easy enough to do and does it really provide any additional assistance with removing the rear rotors (besides using a 5lb sledge in coercing them off the vehicle)?

Any help or more "opinions" is appreciated.
:popcorn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not claim to have all the answers, but I did my brakes about a year ago.

I went with replacement OEM pads from the Ford dealer, in that the originals worked fine, lasted a long time, did not dust excessively, and did not make unusual noises. They were very easy and straightforward to replace.

I cannot tell you what the friction material was - they looked 'normal' to me. (?).

Regarding rotors, mine were in good shape (no gouges, no warps), so I just had them turned for about $15 each. Reinstalled and they work fine.

I did not have any issues with the e-brake, and I didn't even pay any attention to them.

Overall, not counting the trips to have the rotors turned, the entire job took about 1.5 hours, and the results are fine.

I recognize that I did not answer your questions, but the above is my experience. Very easy and cheap brake job with good results.

The Performance Friction carbon metallic, and the Wagner SX series semi metallic pads are good. The Wagner, and Ford rotors are good. I haven't had good experiences with Bendix, so I won't recommend them. Check the Product Review Section for more information.

Just did my fronts 2 months ago, don't like the pads i got Raybestos PF. But what i did find out was that the rotors at 35k miles was only worn <10%. I just turned them and havn't had a problem since. Mine was an '04 and the rotors started warped at 28k.
Rears are on tap for the spring
Jim

I did mine when I first got it, as the 3rd gens come with a ceramic pad from the factory, and they sucked like a ceramic pad always does. I replaced all 4 corners with Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads from AutoZone (I loathe that place, but it's the only local place that sells 'em) and some Brembo stock replacement rotors. Aside from them taking forever and a day to finally break in, I couldn't be happier. Much improved stopping power, firmer pedal (the 3rd gens really need this), and very minimal brake dust. Now that there's some miles on them, they're getting better and better.
I'd highly recommend this setup...Any good quality stock replacement rotor will do, they don't necessarily have to be a brand name like Brembo, etc. Just don't get a cheapie "value" line rotor that's made in China or somewhere...those are absolute junk. I've tried many different brands of brake pads over the years, and so far, nothing has impressed me more than these Performance Friction pads. It's gotten to the point now that anything I buy for myself, or any brake job I do for a friend or family member automatically gets these pads. Haven't had one complaint yet.

I've also used the Bendix TitaniuMetallic pads with good results. They do tend to be a lot more dusty and noisy than the PF's though. As far as stopping power, they do really have some good "bite"...Almost better than the PF's in some applications. They don't wear well though, and the one "ginuea pig" vehicle that I first tried them on, my dad's 2000 Dakota, produced lots of squeaks and squeals, and blackened the front wheels pretty badly. But...That truck would stop with the pressure of your big toe on the pedal...They were almost too good in that respect. The PF pads are a much better overall pad, having a better balance of everything that most people want in a brake pad for a daily driver...Good stopping power, firm pedal, low dust, good wear, and low/no noise.

One time I had to replace the rear pads on a Toyota Avalon, and Performance Friction didn't make them. Duralast was the only one available. I was very skeptical, and hesitant to put these on. They are known for being an "economy" pad. I told that person that they will be lower quality, and nothing else is available. They didn't seem to care, and told me to put them on. So far, they say that they are great, and have no problems with them. They felt an immediate improvement compared to their old, worn out pads. It's almost a year since I've installed them, and this person has no complaints. I was just in this car this week, and it was good.

AutoZone's Duralast pads are made by Morse. They supply a lot of "store brand" pads. I tried a set on my Durango (on the front) just to see how they were, and returned them a couple days later. They were terrible. Mushy, stinky, and poor stopping power.
On the rear, I don't really think it matters much...They're more or less along for the ride, doing less than 30% of the overall braking.

Also, your typical Toyota Avalon driver probably isn't going to be quite as much of a "critic" about their brakes. As long as they stop decent, are quiet, and not dusty, they'll probably be happy.

Some cheap pads have rivets which kill rotors when they start to wear out.

Even a lot of expensive ones do too! Lots of Raybestos pads, even their higher end lines, are riveted instead of bonded. This can cause squeals too as the rivet holes fill up with brake dust.

I have R1 Concepts cross drilled/slotted rotors off Ebay. He is also a vendor on this website. Very good rotors and pads and excellent customer service. You can't go wrong with these guys

Where are the rotors made from R1 Concepts?????????????

Summit Racing sells their own brand of brake rotors. They carry slotted and drilled rotors for the Explorer. Not a bad price either. The brakes on my '04 are still good but when I do replce them I'm going to use the Summit rotors and a good set of brake pads.

How do I change the front brake pads on 1991 ford explorer

Old thread. . . i should provide and update.
Well they only lasted 8 months before the warped again. I hated the pads too as they had a lot of fade. So about 7,000mi later i re-did them. This time i put new rotors on Raybestos Adv Tech. supposedly better metal. I looked at the summit rotors not much more expensive but i didn't like the look of cross drilled on an Ex. But i did get my pads from them EBC Green 6000's. So far after 2,000mi they are great, very little dust, no FADE, quiet love them.

Back