Brake squeal | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake squeal

So I got to the parts shop and went to the counter with my bag of goodies only to find my wife had tapped the card out.
And I didn't bring my phone with me so I couldn't transfer any money to the account.

Sure, I can do without the phone for 1/2 and hour.

Anyway, all the stuff i did on the front was for noting, the brakes still squealed very loudly.
I said to my wife, "I might take a look at the back brakes." She said, "I thought the noise was coming from the back." Hm?

It turns out that my rear axle can move in and out about an 1/8" so the caliper and pads slide up and down on those stainless steel things that were as dry as a stick.

After a clean up I applied some red goop to the backs of the stainless things and a bit of HTB grease (it's all I had) to the side were the pads skid along and.......it worked!
I just need to get some proper brake grease now.
The saga continues on Monday.

So I got to the parts shop and went to the counter with my bag of goodies only to find my wife had tapped the card out.
And I didn't bring my phone with me so I couldn't transfer any money to the account.

Sure, I can do without the phone for 1/2 and hour.

Anyway, all the stuff i did on the front was for noting, the brakes still squealed very loudly.
I said to my wife, "I might take a look at the back brakes." She said, "I thought the noise was coming from the back." Hm?

It turns out that my rear axle can move in and out about an 1/8" so the caliper and pads slide up and down on those stainless steel things that were as dry as a stick.

After a clean up I applied some red goop to the backs of the stainless things and a bit of HTB grease (it's all I had) to the side were the pads skid along and.......it worked!
I just need to get some proper brake grease now.
The saga continues on Monday.

Well, at least you figured out which end of the truck was the problem. I put new ceramic pads on my daughters Mountaineer a while back. The pads came with new stainless steel anti-rattle clips. Did my usual complete front brake job and test drive. Everything was fine. Next day my daughter drove it about 30 miles and came home complaining of terrible front brake noise. Took it out for a longer test drive, and she was right. It sounded terrible! Took it all apart again and at first found nothing wrong. Then I checked the anti-rattle clips. They were off-center very slightly, but it was enough to make them make contact with the edge of the rotor once the rotor got hot. That was the problem. Never had that happen before.

Back