Brake upgrade? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake upgrade?

Hi, I just got my armored explorer in Honduras and need to change for High Performance Brakes, because the weight of the car has increase in 680 Kg and is very difficult to stop the car and actual brakes get very hot.

Please give me some ideas / suppliers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm still liking my Magnum Rotors with EBC Green Stuff pads. I don't know how they would handle that kind of weight though.

Hmm, I don't think I've even towed my car hauler since installing mine, that's where my real complaint was. I may be soon and will post back once I do.

feetwet, It's look like a very good option, what about the rear pads?

feetwet, It's look like a very good option, what about the rear pads?

My rear pads were still good and the fronts do most of the work. I don't think Wagner makes the sx series for the rears so I would plan to use their qc series when the rears come due.

The sx ones have had very little dust surprisingly.

What do you do in Honduras to need the protection?

I noticed recently they have a very difficult airport for the airliners to land.

Honduras is crossing very difficult times politically and economic, so that increase crime a lot, we have a generational commerce business we import a lot from Asia; the explorer drive it my mother, that is why a need good and long lasting stopping power.

Do you think that if I only change the front brake pads for the SX and leave the rear same as factory, I will no have instability problems at the moment of hard braking?

Hard braking should be handled by the ABS & stability control independently between front and rear. Shouldn't be a problem. That extra weight should be respected from your driving style nonetheless... your Explorer is probably top-heavy too!

It’s sound logical, I will try it, thanks

Mike 10

Hey Mike,

Just wondering how you are finding the brakes after a few years? I'm running stock on my mountaineer and the pedal goes down to below the gas pedal. I've had ford replace both rotors and pads before and am up for new pads. But want more bite and to get rid of the spongy pedal.

Looking for a good set up to replace them with by someone who has some experience with their own setup.

Thxx

Hey Mike,

Just wondering how you are finding the brakes after a few years? I'm running stock on my mountaineer and the pedal goes down to below the gas pedal. I've had ford replace both rotors and pads before and am up for new pads. But want more bite and to get rid of the spongy pedal.

Looking for a good set up to replace them with by someone who has some experience with their own setup.

Thxx

Spongy pedal usually means you need to bleed them.

... Looking for a good set up to replace them with by someone who has some experience with their own setup. ...

I replaced my OEM setup after 70K with EBC Sport Rotor and EBC Greenstuff, front and back. I have 76K now and I love them. I'd be exagerating if I said I can stop on a dime and give you change, it is afterall a heavy truck, but they do feel and react a heck of a lot better than the orginal truck when it was new. A little pricey though, about $650 for the entire setup...

I'm still liking my Magnum Rotors with EBC Green Stuff pads. I don't know how they would handle that kind of weight though.

Hmm, I don't think I've even towed my car hauler since installing mine, that's where my real complaint was. I may be soon and will post back once I do.
To follow up on this and probably 12k miles or so. I still like the Magnum rotors and EBC Greens.

I have towed many times since my last post. I did not have a brake controller installed yet and they did well considering the weight. I did finally install the progressive controller and everything is as controllable as it was in my Dad's 2005 F-150.

I highly recommend Power Slot Cryo rotors

They are slotted and vented front and rear rotors with Cryogenic Treatments

Front Right #126.65118CSR , Front Left #126.65118CSL
Rear Right #126.65090CSR , Rear Left #126.65090CSL

I tried EBC 3GD Series Sport Front Rotors and I'm happy with it

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318627

but I'm looking forward to try the state of art technology Cryogenic Treatments

I highly recommend Power Slot Cryo rotors

They are slotted and vented front and rear rotors with Cryogenic Treatments

Front Right #126.65118CSR , Front Left #126.65118CSL
Rear Right #126.65090CSR , Rear Left #126.65090CSL

I tried EBC 3GD Series Sport Front Rotors and I'm happy with it

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318627

but I'm looking forward to try the state of art technology Cryogenic Treatments

OK, and can anyone recommend a set of pads to go with the powerslots? If I use the Ford Pads, they are free for the rest of my life through the Ford Dealer, However better braking power would be nice. I read mixed reviews about the EBC greenstuff and the HawkXP. Hoping to pick up the rotors and pads this weekend, While I am at it will replace both front hubs. Anyone with experience on the front hubs? Motorcraft, or Timken or???

Ford OEM brake ceramic pads made by ROUSH are excellent choice

Front pads: Ford 6L2Z-2001-A
Rear Pads: Ford 8L2Z-2200-AB

They are pads for heavy duty and I wont use anything else :D unless new technology come out

Check this article

How to Choose Disc Brake Pads

Back