Brakes glazing over

2001ExpSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
I just bought a new set or rear rotors last fall and they are already glazed over. What I mean is they are shiney and not cut. I owned ranger that hadn't done this so quickly.

Are the Ford rotors softer than normal? I have heard that using the super stop or heavy duty pads will ruin the rotors because they are harder than the rotor itself. Is this true?

My front rotors are now in need of replacing or machining. Not sure what to do though because of what's happening.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah my performance pads have ruined my rotors for the second time now. I am either going to get Bendix or Brembo OEM replacements.

Ya, I'd love to get a set of Brembo brakes. I'd be happy wiht slotted or drilled rotors, but hard to find without replacing the caliper. Well, I'll get the heaviest rotors I can get and get the medium grade pads. More dust, but I can deal.

You going on the Paragoin trip?

While you all are talking about brakes, let me ask you this question. On mine, i put new pad and rotors on mine last year also and i am using Bendix pad and rotors and after they get a little bit warm or i have to ride them in the least little bit, they squeal like a pig, i mean it's freaking loud!! What can i do about this.

So you are saying that for drilled or slotted rotors you have to have a special caliper?? I still have my factory rotors and they aren't that bad, wonder if i could have them turned and then drilled some. I was just thinking that because it seems that my brakes just get to hot to fast, thought that might help some what do you think?

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by Jot017
While you all are talking about brakes, let me ask you this question. On mine, i put new pad and rotors on mine last year also and i am using Bendix pad and rotors and after they get a little bit warm or i have to ride them in the least little bit, they squeal like a pig, i mean it's freaking loud!! What can i do about this.

So you are saying that for drilled or slotted rotors you have to have a special caliper?? I still have my factory rotors and they aren't that bad, wonder if i could have them turned and then drilled some. I was just thinking that because it seems that my brakes just get to hot to fast, thought that might help some what do you think?

Happy trails!!

Goto Pep boys or Advanced Auto and buy some stop squeak. It is in a little ketchup like packet. Get on for each pad(4) in front. You have to remove the pads and coat the back side with it. While it's wet put everything back together and them press the brakes to set them tight. That should do the trick.

Also, you could try lubing your caliper slide pins with synthetic grease.

Also, you could try lubing your caliper slide pins with synthetic grease.

How does this effect the squeal from the brakes when they get warm??

Matt--i guess i'll ask you the same thing, i see what you all are saying but i don't see how that stops the squeal?!:confused:

Happy trails!!

If the calipers aren't lubed, it means they can get loose and vibrate, thereby making the pads "skip" off and on the rotor as you brake.

Okay, i see that now. Well i guess it certainly wouldn't hurt me any so i'll give that a shot this weekend! Anything else you can think of, what about the drilled caliper idea, is that just totally stupid??

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by Jason_25
If the calipers aren't lubed, it means they can get loose and vibrate, thereby making the pads "skip" off and on the rotor as you brake.

Usually when you LUBE something it makes it loose. You can lube the pins, they have a boot over them. That's not what is causing squeaking though.

Back