• Register Today It's free!

brakes

peter freeman

Reaction score
City, State
essex
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer
Have just changed all the brake pads and parking shoes,but now the pedal feels a bit spongy ,once the pedal is depressed and then quickly pressed again it is fine.It seems to have air in ? I did not open any pipes to let air in.Can these brakes be bleed as normal brakes? thanks for any help peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is what is says in the Haynes book.
This is for 1997 and later models only.

As long as no air has gotten into the master cylinder or the HCU (Hydraulic control unit), the brake lines and the calipers can be bled in the conventional manner. However, if the pedal feels spongy after a bleeding procedure, or the ABS warning light on the instrument panel stays lit or blinks, have the vehicle towed to a dealer service department or other properly equipped repair facility for further testing with the proper tools.

Hope that helps.

I agree with Howard.
However, I have also read that if there is air in the module it has to be hooked up to a device that opens the valves electrically in the ECU to let the trapped air out. My local Ford dealer knows about the procedure but they say they have never bothered doing it!

I would bleed them too mate, be sure to tighten the bleed screw after every ejection- this avoids air getting back in past the bleed screw- before you start top up to the max and keep an eye on the fluid levels as you bleed- its best to have two people when bleeding, one to pump and one to open/close the bleed nipple. If you let air get into the master cylinder you will have huge problems as you need special tools to bleed the distrubution valve- I am not sure if the tools are commonly available so please dont get it wrong, it could be a dealer job to correct. Money in the hands of frauds!

Thanks for the replies i will try bleeding them and keep my fingers crossed .Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

im watching this,i changed the fluid because it was dirty and I never got the pedal feel i was hoping for but it was better..

Will let you know will be doing it next weekend ,weather permitting.thanks

Peter

I've just changed all my pipes and pads, shoes and discs. Obviously I had to bleed all the lines and calipers, and after repeating the process of bleeding a few times each, all was well; until they started feeling very spongy, which was due to a leak in a badly corroded section of pipe that I hadn't spotted.

I replaced that and all went well.

The procedure I used was as follows (using two people)

Connect bleed hose to the bleed nipple and open 1/4 turn - tell your helper to slowly press down - then get them to shout "Down' - then close the bleed screw - get them to release the pedal and shout "Up". Open the bleed screw and repeat as required.

As BigHVM says, make sure you close the screw after each press of the pedal.

I'd be surprised if you've got air into the system (unless you let the reservoir go dry).

Cheers
Kenny

Back