Broke the stock roof rack on my Mounty | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broke the stock roof rack on my Mounty

The cross bars clear the crown of the roof by maybe 1/4".
I used the aluminum unistrut for weight savings, it still has plenty of strength.

I haven't noticed any wind noise.

I cracked the sheet metal around the nut inserts for the OEM rails after I had a aftermarket safari type rack mounted for several years. The OEM rails are not able to handle any real weight for a long time if you off-road. The constant shifting and jarring of loads pulls the nut inserts out of the sheet metal. I have a custom rack that I made that uses wellnuts, which are rubber with a brass nut so they expand into a hole when tightened. Its been up there for several years and is still working great. I only have a Hi-Lift jack and a light bar on there most of the time. I have put prospecting equipment and firewood up there for expedition type off-road trips with no issues. The wellnuts are into the roof/body seam, which I figured was the strongest part of the roof. I removed the OEM rails and filled the holes with sealant.

I used to have this rack mounted to the rails.
IMG_20150224_092727219.jpg

It eventually caused the damage in this pic
IMG_20150218_183548479_HDR.jpg

I built this new rack out of 1/2" and 3/4" conduit. Its strong enough for me to stand on. I made it just high enough for a Hi-Lift jack.
IMG_20150225_130308421 (Large).jpg

IMG_20150226_172756957 (Large).jpg

Edit:
I recently added a awning and awning mounts to both sides of the rack, so I can quickly switch the awning from side to side to get the most shade.
20191002_132958.jpg

20191002_180030.jpg

20191002_160430.jpg

20191015_170231.jpg

Very cool.

I usually only carry light bulky items in the rack. Sleeping gear, tent, clothing, a folding camp chair.

I don't want a lot of weight up high anyway.

Very cool.

I usually only carry light bulky items in the rack. Sleeping gear, tent, clothing, a folding camp chair.

I don't want a lot of weight up high anyway.

Same here. I usually only throw the camp chairs, tarp, perhaps a child's bicycle, sleeping pads, etc. up there. I've had to rebuild enough Hi-Lift jacks to know that they don't fare well out in the open up on the roof. I keep all that kind of stuff inside the vehicle using internal mounts. I would consider mounting a fuel can and/or water can up there, though. I'd keep it all under 100 lbs, for sure.

Back