Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
chasing down my P0463 issue. Some 10 years on.

I find this hose which is supposed to plug into the housing for the fuel tank filler, broken and disconnected.

7E52F4C0-F3B0-4A16-B6DF-FDA4A9FA8B7D.jpeg

D9DB1EE7-5039-4E8F-BB72-5B1957863C69.jpeg

0FB858A5-6AD0-4A7B-83D7-2F4EAFDF29F8.jpeg

It follows the fill hose down to this box.

4A564BFD-CACF-46B1-92C8-C950D9B2B381.jpeg

Which then connects to this device which seems to be a solenoid. EDIT: “vapor canister vent solenoid”

4188C52C-BC54-4887-97AF-56B9C957AC4A.jpeg

53EB3293-694B-4685-B28C-F523820FABF3.jpeg

I’m wondering if because it can’t detect gas fumes, it’s thinking the tank is empty and dropping the fuel level gauge to zero. Throwing the code.

That's the vent tube for the EVAP system. The hose is mounted up there so that when you go through a creek water doesn't get into your carbon filters (or gas tank). The hose connects to a rectangular box that has a very simple foam filter that's there just to knock down dust that might get into the sytem. From there, the hose continues to the "device" you show, which is the VENT solenoid. This solenoid is open virtually all of the time: (i) when the car is off, gas fumes from the tank migrate to the charcoal filters (there are two of them, on the top of the tank), where the gasoline vapors are absorbed and held to be sucked back into the intake manifold (to be combusted), wen the PURGE solenoid opens. It remains open (I think) when the car is running so that when the purge solenoid opens, there's an intake for outside air to come in to draw the fumes into the engine through the intake manifold.

The only time the vent solenoid closes (again, I think) is periodically when the system needs to seal both ends to check for small/large leaks. If there's a leak, it throws a DTC code and illuminates the CEL.

Now what's the question again?

... P.S. You can just reach up and zip tie the top of that "broken" hose to the filler pipe, all good.

Back