• Register Today It's free!

broken tire pressure sensor

beachthug4

Reaction score
City, State
los angeles, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 xlt 4x4
So I had a nail in the sidewall of the tire in my new X which was frustrating enough. So after buying a new tire, when I went to pick up my car at the tire shop they said they broke my tire pressure monitoring band inside the tire. They claimed they have only seen this type of system on a corvette and that usually the sensor is in the stem not a band on the wheel. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Wonder why X’s don’t have the sensor in the stem like most cars? Any info much appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Banding Sensor

Yes in some models the tire sensor is mounted on a band about 1" under the inner lip of the wheel. This type of sensor is going to be the color blue. The mounting band can be purchased at Ford dealer for around 42 dollars. You will have to break down the wheel at your tire shop and you can then mount the bracket and tire senor on the wheel. Its very easy becasue the old sensor will leave a black patch of glue so you know excatly where to place the new sensor. You have to be careful when you relace the new sensor and mount that they dont damage it when they blow up the tire again.

Hope this helps. Also you have to re-learn the sensor after you install it.

Are you kidding me. I have the same thing in one tire. The valve was bad and leaking so I had it fixed. 2 days later the tire sensor light comes on. Ford garage tells me the band is broke and this needs to be fixed or it will cut the tire from the inside causing another flat or blow out at high speed. He also tells me this will cost me $300.

It happend also to me that they they broke the metal band while changing a tire.
For a week or so I drove without the sensor. After that the sensor did not to have to be relearned.

i went to a discount tire. They tried to say the band was broke, but i was watching them change the tire and it broke when he was removing the tire. anyways they replaced it for free. all it is, is a really large hose clamp.

Back