• Register Today It's free!

Bronco II

BroncoIIGUY

Reaction score
City, State
Apache Junction, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II XLT 4x4
Hey every one, I'm new to this site and im just getting started in this hobby but I hope this will be a interesting experience for me. And I figured I could maybe slide by on being on this web site becuase there is not much out there on the net about Bronco II's and the Explorer pretty much came from the BII but with better modifications and more stable. By the way my name is Cody and I live in Arizona and if you want to see what my Bronco II is all about go here, www.geocities.com/myhoofhurtz/index.html

Thanks for reading this and please tell me what you think :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard. The truck looks good. I'm sure you will still find the help you need here. Have you Tried www.rrorc.com ? They have some pretty good BII info over there.

Looks good. That 1989-90 style is the only
Bronco II style I like. It looks tight.

Is that the original front bumper on there, or an Explorer one? I thought the bottom plastic trim was different on Bronco II's bumpers.

Welcome to the site...good to have another Bronco II'er around. We got to see some cool Bronco II's in Moab, like Brett, 410Fortune, and clmbnkd (sorry if i messed up names or missed anyone)...

Allright, thanks every one. Yea thats the Bronco II bumper. Had to get a new one because the guy before me wrecked it, the bumper and valace or bug guard are brand new. Yea the front end is pretty much the same as the explorer, pretty close anyway.

Welcome! You will find a ton ofinfo on the BII online!
This site takes the cake however for most stuff and people.

When are we gonna drop a 4.0L into your BII?:)

Thanks, heh, if I drop anything new in it, it would be a fresh 2.9. The engine has about 102k miles on it, it has all new hoses, belts, radiator, battery, altenator, fluids, master cylinder, ahhhhhhhh so much stuff me and my dad have done to it. Im satisfied with it, did I not mention that it was 60$ for the whole truck? Today I just got my Powertrax Locker in the rear, makes all the good noises like it should >:)

OKay I loed my ol 2.9L too, I modded it out and had plenty of power from that screamer, just no torque...

For the same cost of a rebuilt 2.9L you can do a 4.0L, just something to keep in mind.

Have you considered dropping the D28 and 7.5 in favor of the D35 and 8.8?

Well, the 4.0 is a 6 right? what all would I have to dump my money into, tranny...all radiator and **** like that if you know what i mean? im stickin w/ my 7.5 i just threw a locker in and my 28 up front, when I get tired of it, or it gets a little too tired, ill keep that in mind.

the OHV 4.0L is the big brother to the 2.9L. It is the sameblock and up until 94 all the stuff under the hood is virtually un changed, this is why for the cost of a new 2.9L a 4.0L can be dropped in...

There is a lot more stuff to consider of course, but you can keep your tranny at least until it breaks behind the 4.0L. The 2.9L fuel and cooling systems can remain, even the exhaust will bolt up on your 89.

Email me if you want more info, I have been driving with my 4.0L for almost 3 years now, love it! I wish I would have ditched my 2.9L long ago instead of dumping a bunch of time and $$$ into it I could have been building a 4.0L.....

Allriighty! you wouldnt possibly know any sites where i can get all kinds of info on this because that will be the most likely engine that gets dropped into my truck. thanks

I miss my old B2, even though it was a piece, still a fun truck. I'll have to get my only good pic of it after I rebuilt it, but before I gave up.

Originally posted by 410Fortune
the OHV 4.0L is the big brother to the 2.9L. It is the sameblock and up until 94 all the stuff under the hood is virtually un changed, this is why for the cost of a new 2.9L a 4.0L can be dropped in...

There is a lot more stuff to consider of course, but you can keep your tranny at least until it breaks behind the 4.0L. The 2.9L fuel and cooling systems can remain, even the exhaust will bolt up on your 89.

Email me if you want more info, I have been driving with my 4.0L for almost 3 years now, love it! I wish I would have ditched my 2.9L long ago instead of dumping a bunch of time and $$$ into it I could have been building a 4.0L.....
Thank you 410, No one believes me that the 2.9 and the 4.0 are the same block. This is the response I always get, "How did they take a pos and make it a gem?" Then it's "How did they get 1.1 liters out of a 2.9?" and I tell them they have obviosly never torn one down, then they would understand. Sorry to Ramble,
Later,
Shaun

For those of you who have a 4.0 L in your BII, what's your gas mileage? My 2.9 L BII gets nearly 20 mpg around town, my 4.0 L Explorer gets around 15 mpg. I have often wondered if this is a function of engine size or vehicle size.

I own a 2 wheel drive bronco II with with 2.9 Liter and a 4x4 2 door explorer with the 4.0 and with the bronco I get 24 MPG on the highway and with the explorer I get 20 MPG on the highway. Both gear ratios are at 3.73 and both have auto trannies. City mileage seems about the same.

I *really* want to get an 89 BII, lift it, put a 4.0 in it, and replace thr front clip of it with a 95 explorer. I'd prolly bring the interior up to a 95+ ranger/explorer. prolly 33' and coil-overs.

I figure that will have some serious rock crawling potential, although i'm gonna have to give it to my girlfriend to justify getting it (her lease is up next august when she is suposed to move in with me). It will be great to have another person I can pick their brain about potential mods.

I don't understand why you would want to put an IFS front clip in some thing you are building for rock crawling, got to go straight axle.:)

Originally posted by Muskrat
I don't understand why you would want to put an IFS front clip in some thing you are building for rock crawling, got to go straight axle.:)

I think he meant just the sheet metal.

ok, that clears up what I was thinking. I had a similar idea to that for a rig, 91-94 ex sport, nose of a 95+ Ex, ranger cab, and a 4ft, (or what ever fits) bed. twin 60s 302, and a few other goodies:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back