BroncoII Shift Linkage Change to 91-94 Column linkage ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BroncoII Shift Linkage Change to 91-94 Column linkage ?

Bruces expo

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Middle GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
I Did not notice the Difference in the Shift linkage between my Current Bad 91-94 Explorer linkage And the Bronco II shift Linkage , Is there An Easy way to Change the Linkage ? ,

Also I noticed that the Bronco II trans Has a Different Bell housing , it has 2 Less bolt Locations than the 4.0 Trans , I was told It was a 89 2.9 Trans but It is Obviously Not , Any And all Info Is great , I've Searched and looked in my PDF a4ld manual and Cannot find anything about the Bell housing difference and the shift linkage change .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well Upon hours of searching threads here and other forums to find out on the linkage issue , I Might take a trip To the local Pull a part and try to find a Floor shifter for a BII and see if That Will work , It would be Kind of Cool to have a Floor Shifter !

Anybody have any tips or Ideas on how to make the linkage work , And about the BII trans missing 2 bottom bolt locations ?

Well looks like I will either be Buying a Floor Shifter , Or Doing a Swap with the Linkages between my 2 Transmissions

Well I went to my Local Pull a Part and Grabbed a Aux trans Fluid cooler , some line , few hose clamps and fuses and bulbs , there were no Auto floor shifters that were the Same as a Bronco II , So when this weather stops kicking me I will begin my Linkage swap and take pics Along the way if possible !

I think I read on one of the BII forums that the bronco trannies do have 2 less bolts. I'm trying to remember when I dropped mine. If putting in an Explorer transmission you might be able to grab a BII floor shifter and swap the linkages.

Aerostars also had auto floor shifters;)

Yes I tried to find either a BII or Aerostar shifter but the Aerostar is too tall , It looks like it will come into contact with my Center console

Well since the weather is Warming up for me I went and bought the trans filter and pan gasket , Might try and change the linkage today , well see

Well bad news , My BII trans only has one Solenoid on the valve body , and also the New filter I bought is Different than both others I have already , Any suggestions on what to do now ?

Am I going to need to Change the Valvebody's out ? , I almost have the Linkage Changed , But the Pin on the BII trans needs to be drilled out , It was pushed in too far to remove

Well After I drilled out the Pin for the linkage I swapped it out and put a new filter and new pan gasket on , Will be Installing either tomorrow or whenever I can !

Well the trans Is Installed ! , I need to figure Out the Wiring for the solenoid , The Bronco II Trans has a 2 Wire connector , My Navajo has a 3 Wire And Will not plug in , Any Info or advice is Greatly Appreciated ! , Also I had to Add an Reducer to the Trans Fluid lines As the BII lines were Smaller than the Stock Navajo lines , A Adapter Made the Lines fit the BII trans just fine and only Were about $5 . Need to Add fluid to the Transfer case , I went ahead and Drained it but need to find out how much fluid the Transfer case takes . Thanks for any info or advice In Advanced !

Back