Brown goop on radiator hose

ginenyira

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
Hi,
Last night driving home, my husband saw smoke or probably steam coming from under the hood. Today I opened the hood and there's some goopy brown stuff on the radiator hose. I just filled the radiator with water and put in more than a gallon.

I'm assuming it is the radiator hose - it is a large black hose that ends on the left side of the radiator and goes back to the center of the vehicle above the belts.

The brown goop does not smell like anything in particular. link to pic of goop:
BROWN GOOP

MiscPhotos

Do you know what the brown goop might be? do you think it is ok to drive to the mechanic?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,
Last night driving home, my husband saw smoke or probably steam coming from under the hood. Today I opened the hood and there's some goopy brown stuff on the radiator hose. I just filled the radiator with water and put in more than a gallon.

I'm assuming it is the radiator hose - it is a large black hose that ends on the left side of the radiator and goes back to the center of the vehicle above the belts.

The brown goop does not smell like anything in particular. link to pic of goop:
BROWN GOOP

MiscPhotos

Do you know what the brown goop might be? do you think it is ok to drive to the mechanic?

Have you checked the oil that looks like the raditor fluid mixed with oil, and you have a leak right at that hose. Check the oil if it look cottage cheese like there's a more severe problem. Let us know...

yes

I checked the oil. The oil on the dipstick was clear, no cottage cheese. I think it needs to be changed (it is dark, but no debris in it), but definitely not cottage cheese.

Sounds like its due for a whole system flush along with an oil change.

How tos in the link in my signature.

Do you own a cat?

Back