Brown Wire Mod Complete - Few Questions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brown Wire Mod Complete - Few Questions?

CommandPresence

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA
I am curious about a few things. I wired a switch, simply putting a single pole single throw switch in, rated for 10 amps, no relay. All I did was simply connect a switch between each end of broken brown wire, one wire on a terminal and one wire on other side of terminal on switch. I did not run power or ground because I did not use a lighted switch. It will now break loose in dirt in 2wd....

Question 1; If I want to go into 4x4, do I need to flip the switch and re start the vehicle, or is it on the fly? I flipped the switch while driving and didn't notice if it was still just 2wd.

Question 2; When I hit the 4 High button, the light still goes on on the dash as if it's in 4HI, is this normal because the computer thinks the t-case is engaging?

Question 3; my 4wd lights light up with all other lights on dash as i first start it, regardless of switch position, are they suppose to?

I am curious about a few things. I wired a switch, simply putting a single pole single throw switch in, rated for 10 amps, no relay. All I did was simply connect a switch between each end of broken brown wire, one wire on a terminal and one wire on other side of terminal on switch. I did not run power or ground because I did not use a lighted switch. It will now break loose in dirt in 2wd....

Question 1; If I want to go into 4x4, do I need to flip the switch and re start the vehicle, or is it on the fly? I flipped the switch while driving and didn't notice if it was still just 2wd.

Question 2; When I hit the 4 High button, the light still goes on on the dash as if it's in 4HI, is this normal because the computer thinks the t-case is engaging?

Question 3; my 4wd lights light up with all other lights on dash as i first start it, regardless of switch position, are they suppose to?

1 yes its on the fly
2 yes even though it isn't
3yes all lights do this to show they work like a test

You also have 2lo...for maybe moving heavy load a short on road distance without killing xcase...

LOL Will your all over my posts, thanks a bunch for your quick replies.

Back