• Register Today It's free!

Brown Wire Mod Operation Question

coliniscool

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
So i completed the brown wire mod and when i frist started the car up with the switch off, i felt an instant ease in turning in tight places whihc told me that the front wheels weren't getting any power. So i thought to flip the switch to on to see if the front wheels would engage. The front wheels did engage, but now with the switch off again, it still feels like the front wheels are being powered. Is it possible for the clutch to engage without a connected circuit through the brown wire?? I am wondering if i need to disconnect the battery to reset things again maybe?? When i flipped the switch back to on, i just pulled over to the side of the raod and turned it on. Should i have waited until the car was off, is it only safe to toggle the switch when the car is totally off?? I'm sorry if this wuestion has been asked before, i just want a quick answer so if i did something horribly wrong i can fix it right away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm.... it sort of depends on two things: Where you cut into the wire, and whether or not the front wheels are truly receiving power. Binding when turning doesn't necessarily mean that the thrnasfer case is engaged. It can be caused by a bunch of other things.

If you have the switch off, there should be no direct link between the front and rear driveshafts. Turning the switch off simply interrupts the power to the clutch coil in the transfer case. Unless you have an '02-up, the GEM module doesn't know that the powere has been cut, it simply sends power to the clutch blindly without knowing if it's getting there or not.

If everything is working properly and wired correctly, you should be able to flip the switch at will.

-Joe

Maybe the switch is shorted out, I should probably check it. Doesanyone notice a definate difference with the switch on or off?? Or is the change not really noticable??

Burn Out!!

Get on the dirt and give it some juice! If you are able to spin the tires and raise some dust....then you know your mod is working! :D

I can notice a definite difference between the switch being on and off. I can sping my rear tires everywhere in the rain and snow without the fronts engaging.

cool, im going 4 wheelin tomorrow in hollister, CA. ill check it out, and hopefully i will be able to see the difference. thanks for the help guys, i would be so lost without all your input. thanks again, and ill tell you all how it went.

So i went 4 wheeling today and i was easily able to spin my rear tires and do some burnouts. If it wasn't working, i wouldn't be able to do burnouts in the dirt right?? well to summarize the day i got mud into every crevice of the explorer, and i managed to get my rear end stuck on a rut trying to climb a hill i was eveidently not capable of. No broken or damaged parts, but a hefty $30 bill at the local carwash.

Back