Bubbled paint around fuel hatch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bubbled paint around fuel hatch

Hey all,

The paint around my fuel hatch on my 92 sport is getting pretty bubbled. I went to a body shop today and they quoted me $1050 to fix it -$900 for labor and $150 for paint. This sounds absolutely outragous and I was just wondering what other option I have. I know that someone on this board has dealt w/ this particular problem before because I don't think I've ever seen a 1st gen X that wasn't having this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got that too......I'd like to fix it before it gets to the metal needing replaced.

I had the same problem on my old 92 sport:( My cousin put a whole new quarter section in for me for about 500

The body shop most likely will sand of the old paint down to primer in the affected area, repaint the sanded area and then clear coat the entire quarter panel. You should be able to get the whole truck repainted (same color) for about $ 1,500. We repainted mine last month. It took about 20 man hours labor and $400 in materials.

just grind it down yourself and slap on some primer + paint + clearcoat.

I want a body shop to do it because the rest of the vehicle's paint is perfect and I know I won't be satisfied w/ anything short of perfect.

You should just repaint the whole car. It will cost a lot and you should just place it towards the whole car. Eventually your car will probably be covered in it even if you take care of this spot. Look at mine this is 1 spot. And I have 1 on my drivers side fender and the roof http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~mab227/PDR_0002.JPG

That sounds a bit costly to me.
Try a few other shops.

I got quote from another shop today. They only wanted $475 to do the same procedure. I might wait a while though, the bubbling only gets worse during winter.

no need to wait if the shop does quality work. I would check up on it in progress, if you can, once they get all the rust cut out. it is very important that all the rust gets removed or it will come right back.

i patched mine myself and it turned out pretty good.

if you try to do it yourself.

1) take your time
2) work your patch peice alot to get a really good fit before you weld it in
3)know what you are planning to do as far as paint goes before you start the endevour

for $500 i would seriously consider taking it to the shop where they will have it all painted and good to go for you in way less time

again just make sure they cut all the rust out.

tip: check behind your rear washer fluid container. you will most likely find even more rust there as it is really the same spot, just the other side. but cut out the rusted areas of the wheel well and replace with new metal also.

Rust?? I thought it was just the clear coat comming off.

Back