Building my first box - how's this look? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building my first box - how's this look?

Cool. I am getting ready to buy termpack.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks good, I would gladly take the cut sheet, etc. I appreciate your help man.

another question for you - had one of my friends out tonight. we were chatting about my original design and he was looking at the thread. he just picked up a couple of kicker 10s (the CVX series). Oddly enough, he has an explorer as well - is that something you can mock up a box for? same basic idea, he likes to cover his up with the cargo cover too.

He was thinking of this wedge box he found here - http://www.decware.com/newsite/invertedwedge.htm - seems interesting......but what do I know?

What kind of bass is your friend wanting??

he really likes his bass to be tight, but loud too. best of both worlds?

hope I am not being impatient, but any progress aznboi? Tomorrow I plan on on working on the vehicles and building out the boxes.

Thanks!

Here you go...3 cu ft at 33hz

Baffle - 41" x 17.5"

Bottom - 41" x 17.5"

Back - 41" x 10.5"

Right side - 16" x 10.5"

Front - 37.25" x 10.5"

Left side - 16.75" x 10.5"

Port I - 12.25" x 10.5"

Port II - 6" x 10.5"

Baffle brace is 16" x 3"

TwoCVX10sclear.png

TwoCVX10sCutsheet.png

TwoCVX10sbafflecutout.png

looks good!

does it make a difference in the exploders if the subs face up instead of towards the hatch? I know the 10s will fit on the front and still be under the 12" requirement. Not trying to be combative here, just trying to further my knowledge.

Again, thanks for the words of wisdom, tomorrow should be fun and I hope to have some lovely pics to throw out later tomorrow!

also, should I use a router to knock off the 90* angles on the port? round them over or something, or does it matter at all?

Generally Explorers are louder sub up port back. Either way will sound good though. Some vehicles are louder with the sub and port on axis while others are louder with the sub and port off axis

If you do have a router than rounding the corners will help with turbulence.

alrighty, I returned the L7 (it was new, decided against it) and I picked up the 2 CVXs from my friend. We built the box for those today, and I have to say anznboi - this thing POUNDS! You f'in rock man!

For my first build it was quite fun. Friend and I went to my father in law's shop (he owns a furniture repair shop) and built it there.

Thank you anzboi for the plans - made it easy to put it together and sounds amazing! Fits great back there.

as normal, I forgot my damn camera, so the only one that I got was from my damn Moto Q today. Here it is.

Attachments

• img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 190

Glad it worked out for you....By the way. His name is Nam.

No problem...Good job on the build also.

I'm glad you like it...First builds are always fun. My first build was for a single 12 inch sub, 14 inch cube externally and sealed. Took me like 3 hours lol...I was **** about getting everything perfect as possible

I hear you on that! It took about 3 hours to put this one together for us too.

damn thats not bad at all for a first time build.

Can you take some videos of some beats??

yeah, I can get one with my cell phone (I don't have a camcorder). I will have to find a place to do that at, can't quite do it at my house - damn neighbors will call the cops!

Wish I saw this before I left the shop yesterday, could have done it there. Spent 13 hours there yesterday (yuck!). Part of the change over was to upgrade my wiring and change out a 2 channel amp that runs my fronts to an amp that would run all 4.

I started out with 2 runs of 8 gauge (yeah, I know - but it worked for my first setup, then I added another for a second amp......anyway its fixed now), and stepped up to 0 gauge to two 4 guage runs to the amps. I have 2 kicker amps, a 750.1 and a 700.5 (when I bought this I originally was looking at my designed box - and would run the 2 MTX 10s off of the sub channel on the 700.5).

Running the wires took MUCH longer than I expected. Had to drill a spot for the wire to come through - I found a spot behind the wheel well that comes out perfectly, and lines it up to go down the track in the doors. Had to rewire my battery terminals, hook up all of the distro blocks, cap, etc. I also had to rerun my signal wires and junk on the other side. I ended up having 4 runs of 14 gauge speaker wire, 3 RCAs and 2 turn on leads going down the other side. Talk about FAT! It all fit under the channel though (under the black part, nicely hidden).

Fired it up last night and it sounds much better than the previous night. Friday night the subs were hitting so hard it was drowning everything out. Thats cool for about 5 minutes.....then it just bites. The 700.5 sure took care of that! I have a set of Boston SL80s in the front, Alpine KFC-5780cie (i think thats what they are) in the backs. I cranked it up last night and it sounds amazing at any volume!

Anyway - sorry for the long post - at some point I will get some video of the subs.

longs posts are good...the more in depth the review the better

Usually a digital camera's video recording is better than a cell phone lol...it cool though

So I am going to step out and build my first box. Here is what I have - 2 10" subs (some MTX ones that I have from a previous build) and a 12" Kicker L7. I am running 2 Kicker amps - a 750.1 (to the L7) and a 700.5 (hooked up to my 4 door speakers and the 2 10"s). My current setup has all of this in it, just 2 boxes - which I absolutely hate.

Attached pics are a mock up of what I have in mind. I want to have the box fit under the cargo cover, so each box is 12" high.

The middle box is 1.94 ft^3. Kicker recommends .88 - 2.0 ft^3 for the sealed L7. The bottom of the box is 14x20. It has an 8" top, 2 inch rise on the front.

The sides are .74 ft^3. MTX recommends .6-1 ft^3. These bottom of these boxes are 12x11. The top is 2" and these also have a 2" rise.

Any thoughts?

As much as previous people have mentioned using two different types of subs, you get the picture. But here's a suggestion you COULD do if it hasn't been explained all ready...

In my Explorer, I used to have 2 10" subs under the rear seat, with a 15" Audiobahn in the back.. The 10"s were all right, mostly used for cruising, the 15" was used when I wanted to show off or get loud. I installed two switches into my center console, so I could turn on/off both of them. One switch turned on the 10"s, another switch turned on the 15". I used the remote wire from the head unit to the amps to control them.

Anything is possible, but don't play all of them at once.

Well..........as much as I enjoyed building this - I sold my Explorer. If there is anyone in the St Louis area looking for some stuff, I have it listed on craigslist right now. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/660092946.html

Smaller stuff I can ship, but the boxes - at this time no shipping.

Back