• Register Today It's free!

bumper idea

ExplorerJimbo

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer XLT
ive got an idea cookin up for a rear bumper... i work at a steel fabrication plant... in the maintinence dept. im thinking about going with 2x2x1/8" tubing.... has anyone made a bumper out of it... and if so post some pictures.. i wanna know if its to small of tubing...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't, but 2x2 might look... small... as a single pipe, 1/8" is pretty heavy, are you going to be hanging a tire on it? I would think 2x4 or 2x4 would look better for single tube bumper, if you are talking in a multiple bar bumper, i think it would look OK done right, but it would be plain, and hard to bend and look good bent, so it may not follow curves well, unless you want to spend the day making relief cuts and re welding andd then grinding... or it will look wrong since the sharper bends will crush/deform the uniformity of the tubing.. unless you have a madrel bender, but I'm not sure what even that would look like..

round = better final look and easier if you ask me...

but grab that 2x2 and make some sliders while your at it!

yeah im going to go with the round tube for the bumper, and yeah im going to have a tire carrier on it... but i'll deff make some sliders out of the 2x2 tube... thanks man

This is my new front bumper. It's made from 2x4 with 2x2 for the hoop

12287On_2.jpg

its a tough looking bumper, but I would like more it if it followed the body line better on the back. now that it my opinion, but it doesn't look bad at all. but definitely would look off with the primary tube as 2x2.

good choice to go with round tube, much easier to bend up..

thats the perfect size for sliders, consider there was a thread about stic-o's sliders where they talk about great mounting ideas using a receiver tube (for you 2 1/4 1/8" thick tube would work) so they can be removed or replaced! good luck, post pics when your done!!

That is one solid looking bumper.It has some good unique design lines to it It reminds me off some of the things I used to fabricate as a welder when I worked in the oilfields.
Your bumper needs something else..I don't know what it is...hmmmm

nice bumper knida wut im lookin to make

thats nice. do you have a body lift? I might use that as an idea if ya don't mind.

Back