mechjames

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I got a bunch of codes today:

KOEO:
335 - PFE or DPFE sensor voltage out of Self-Test range.

CM:
214 - Cylinder Identification (CID) circuit failure
332 - EGR valve opening not detected.

KOER:

326 - PFE or DPFE circuit voltage lower than expected with zero EVR duty cycle.

soooooooo, whats that all mean? Seems like the EGR valve might be sticky. If I cleaned the valve, do you think it would all go away? Or would it be the solenoid for the EGR. If that doesn't work, then the egr won't get vaccum, and the DPFE won't detect a difference.

But wouldn't it be weird to get a DPFE code in key on engine off?

what would be the best decision to proceed in my problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But wouldn't it be weird to get a DPFE code in key on engine off?
what would be the best decision to proceed in my problem?

You are beginning to understand why you are supposed to diagnose KOEO codes first. Because there isn't any engine vacuum when the engine if off, something in the EVR solenoid or otherwise related to engine vacuum can't explain it, and because the engine isn't running the EGR valve itself isn't doing anything. All of those possibilities you've mentioned don't apply to a KOEO code.

KOEO codes are almost always electrical in nature: specifically the DPFE sensor circuit itself in this case. I would probably start by reasonably inspecting the wiring between the PCM and the DPFE sensor. If that checks out, I'd probably go straight to replacing the DPFe sensor, because they seem to fail so frequently.

Then clear CM, and repeat self-tests to see if that clears up the EGR codes.

The CM214 is probably unrelated to the EGR issues. When you clear CM after getting the KOEO335 figured out, test drive it and see if the CM 214 comes back consistently. You may have an issue with the CMP sensor circuit (run this one through the site's search engine as this one has come up before, too).

I've run code 214 through the site's search engine, and usually it is for people who have 95 and up explorers, and replacing the camshaft position sensor. my 94 4.0 doesn't have a camshaft sensor though, but it does have a crankshaft sensor. should I check the wiring to that, and then do a resistance test on it?

Your '94 doesn't have a camshaft position sensor?? We're either miscommunicating or yours is the only '94 I know of that doesn't have a camshaft position sensor. While there are a lot of differences between a '94 and a '95, Everything I've seen indicates that engine managements is quite similar. Most of the information about a '95 camshaft position sensor (CMP) should apply to your '94.

To make sure we are using the same terms:

On this site and in all the manuals I've seen, CMP refers to the sensor that sits on the "top" rear of the engine where the distributor would be. From what I understand, it's kind of difficult to get to on the 4.0 with the upper intake and firewall in the way. CMP was used on all EEC-IV 4.0's with sequential EFI (SEFI) to allow the PCM to synchronize injector timing with valve opening.

Crankshaft position sensor (CKP) refers to the sensor on the bottom front of the engine next to the crankshaft pulley. It is a hall effect sensor that "reads" the missing tooth on the pulley to measure engine speed and TDC. It sends this signal to the ICM which uses the CKP signal for timing the ignition. The ICM also sends the signal to the PCM so the PCM knows engine RPM and such.

SEFI was introduced to the 4.0 in some '93's and, I thought, was used on all '94 and '95's. When Ford introduced SEFI, they also put a 2nd O2 sensor in and the EGR system. '91, '92, and some '93's used a batch fire EFI without an EGR system and with only one O2 sensor. If you have an EGR valve but no CMP, then you have some kind of "hybrid" system, which I haven't seen described anywhere.

1st step would still be to clear CM and see if the CM 214 comes back consistently. 2nd step might be to research a little to make sure we know how your engine management system is set up.

Seems like a lot of people are having the 214 code issue.

I got two codes coming up on mine:
335 - PFE sensor circuit voltage out of Self-Test range.
So would you guys recommend I replace the PFE sensor, clean the contacts or what?

214 - CID circuit failure. CKP or CMP?
On the other posts that I read, one is harder to get to than the other. Is there a way to tell which one this code is coming from? I guess I should start with the one that is more accessible(up front). Tips, suggestions and pics of locations of the sensors would be helpful if any of you guys have em.

The best way to know whether a CM 214 comes from the CKP or the CMP is to look up
CM 214 in a good repair manual that has the complete circuit pinpoint tests and such. I find them at the local library. I'm pretty sure that the CMP is the source of the CID signal on your '94.

Is the 335 a KOEO code or a CM code or both? If it's a KOEO code, I'd focus on the DPFE circuit (see post #2 above).

i don't think the 94's have camshaft sensors, just crankshaft sensors right?

No, they have both. Careful, it's like going to church and saying that there is no god... lol. I read about it and it has been hotly contested on other threads. Believe me when I say it, there is significant discussion to support their statement.

chiltons manual says:

" The CMP sensor provides the camshaft position information, called the CMP signal, which is used by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) for fuel synchronization.

1991-93 2.3L and 1991-95 4.0L (VIN X) engines did not use CMP sensors. "

also when i had my intake manifodl off, there wasn't any wires running down the front of the motor near the cam cover. the only one was down to the crankshaft sensor.

I know that's what Chilton's says, but they are wrong in that point. In their attempt to compile information from several years, they somehow missed on that point. That's why it can be important, especially on these engine management components to have access to a good manual that's year/engine specific.

When used, the CMP is on the rear of the engine, not the front. I understand that it is hard to get to because access is between the upper intake and the firewall, and there isn't a lot of room there.

Back