Buying '94 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying '94 Explorer

Riley

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 XLT 4WD
I'm new here and have a few questions.A guy in my area is selling a '94 Explorer Sport 2dr. 4x4 with 75000 miles for $3000 obo.It's in good condition with no rust except the rear bumper,interior looks good as well with no burn holes or rips.It was his son's vehicle and has since gotten a new one,now it just sits in the parking lot of his place of business.The owner just wants to get rid of it so it's off of his insurance.When I test drive it is there anything I should pay special attention to or look at?Also,what are the most common problem areas with this year Explorer?Thanks for any input in advance.

Make sure the transmission shifts fine and look to see that it isnt leaking any fluid. After the test drive, check the fluid and make sure it is full and that it is the right color. In my opinion, I'd say the tranny is the most common problem with explorers, so make sure that is in good shape before buying it. It has low miles though, and it seems to be a good price, so I hope everything works out for you. Good luck, and welcome to the Site!

Check the rear main seal for leaks (basically where the transmission bolts to the engine). If it's wet under there I'd try to beat him down on the price some.

Drive it and see if it has vibration between 62-70 mph too. All of that's fixable. Make sure the 4x4 works, and low range too. If it doesn't, offer less again.

Back