Buying a 96-98 Explorer, what should I look out for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying a 96-98 Explorer, what should I look out for?

Shortfin

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Haven't bought it yet
Hello,

I'm buying a 96-98 Explorer, what should I look out for?

Most likely going to get a 4 door (seems to be more out there).

Using it to tow my boat around every weekend.

Is there any problems I should look for when I go to the dealers/sellers?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Aron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Aron, and welcome to the Site.
Well, if you're just going to be hauling your boat around, I would go with a 5.0 liter V8. It has all the pulling power you need.

I'll add that you will get a stronger transmission with the V8 also. The 5.0L is a very reliable engine also. I get an avg of 19-20 mpg which is about the same as the V6.

i can personally tell you to watch out for the tranny and the godawful blend door problem. both got me when i wasn't looking, then kicked me while i was down.

I would go with a 5.0 liter V8
I agree with Ray. The gas milage is almost identical to the v-6, but you get a much more reliable transmision. When did the 5re55's start? If you are going to get a 4.0 I'd get one with the 5re55 trans. I'm sure someone here can tell you when those were introduced.

Originally posted by alphabets13
and the godawful blend door problem.

What is that? :confused:

when the door under the dash that seperates the cold from the hot air breaks and you only get one or the other. cost me $600 to get fixed and that was a deal. i think it goes from 95-2000 X's. also. its not if it will happen, its when, so it will happen eventually. check when you buy one to see if it is broke or if your lucky has already been replaced. you can do a search for it, it's been talked about plenty of times

Wow, my X has 128k on it and both systems work great! Maybe it was already replaced... *hope* *hope* *hope* :)

its not if it will happen, its when, so it will happen eventually
I don't think it's inevitible. I would guess more people will replace thier trans, than that blend door. I personally know 5 people who have had Ex's and had the trans rebuilt. None had the blend door problem.

well i hope that it never happens to the people who have not had to go through it, cuz it sucks. geez, i had to replace the tranny and the blend door, guess i'm just one of the lucky ones.

My second trans might be toast. I find out Monday.

hey mbrooks, maybe it's something in the pennsylvania air? j/k. i got lucky b/c i have the x under warranty and i will keep extending it as long as i think i should. i hope you don't have to replace it again. good luck

I loved my warranty. I used it to the fullest, and would definately purchase one again. I am thinking positive thoughts about that trans.:cool: Maybe I'll get lucky. I should know something by noon. I Hope I get it back this week. Mom's Blazer is intent on killing me, and given a few more days it's more than likely.

Back