Buying soon... V8 or V6? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying soon... V8 or V6?

Hehehehehehe. If you think that is the case then you be my guest. Sorry, but that is just plain mistaken information that you posted there. The 02-05 4 door V6's and V8's use the same transmission. Their shift maps are also quite similar. If you romp on the gas with a 02+ V8 Explorer it will definately drop at least a gear or two (depending on what speed your traveling) and take off pretty quick, much quicker than a V6 of comparable trim of the same year. I do not mean this comment as blind loyalism to V8's or anything, but it just is the truth.

actually what i typed is indeed fact. i have no problem overtaking an x with a v8 on the short run. in fact my buddy has one with a v8 so it's been proven. i read a post on here a coupla months ago addressing this issue, i'll try to find it for ya.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

actually what i typed is indeed fact. i have no problem overtaking an x with a v8 on the short run. in fact my buddy has one with a v8 so it's been proven. i read a post on here a coupla months ago addressing this issue, i'll try to find it for ya.

Sorry man but your logic is swayed. Both vehicles have nearly the same curb weight, nearly the same tranny and planetary gear sets. One vehicle is making 30 more hp and almost 30 lb/ft more torque too. Not really close with that much of a consistent power difference. And we haven't even began to discuss power under the curve (non-peak hp). Back whe I had my 00 Explorer with its 5.0 V8 I once came up on a WS6 Trans Am and proceeded to beat it in "spirited driving". Does that one instance mean that my truck is faster than that car? Heck no. Sorry man but your mistaken, as are a small number of people on this site in regards to the whole V6 faster than V8 debate. When it comes to racing, especially Explorer's, I am probably considered by most to be somewhat of an authority in these matters by many other X owners in here (and other sites) and also by alot of the Mustanger crowd too. I know racing and I know what factors have to be taken into account to find out which vehicle is truly quicker and/or faster. One anomalous halfazzed street race, whether it be a 5.0 X -vs- WS6 TA or V6 4 door X -vs- V8 4 door X, is not a scientific or true measure of which vehicle is quicker or faster.

Sorry man but your logic is swayed. Both vehicles have nearly the same curb weight, nearly the same tranny and planetary gear sets. One vehicle is making 30 more hp and almost 30 lb/ft more torque too. Not really close with that much of a consistent power difference. And we haven't even began to discuss power under the curve (non-peak hp). Back whe I had my 00 Explorer with its 5.0 V8 I once came up on a WS6 Trans Am and proceeded to beat it in "spirited driving". Does that one instance mean that my truck is faster than that car? Heck no. Sorry man but your mistaken, as are a small number of people on this site in regards to the whole V6 faster than V8 debate. When it comes to racing, especially Explorer's, I am probably considered by most to be somewhat of an authority in these matters by many other X owners in here (and other sites) and also by alot of the Mustanger crowd too. I know racing and I know what factors have to be taken into account to find out which vehicle is truly quicker and/or faster. One anomalous halfazzed street race, whether it be a 5.0 X -vs- WS6 TA or V6 4 door X -vs- V8 4 door X, is not a scientific or true measure of which vehicle is quicker or faster.

alright dude, we're getting way off the subject for this thread. it's cool that you're all into racing your x (which is sweet by the way) but the fact that i can overtake any v8 x off the line and on the short run is undeniable. iv'e been an avid drag racer for years , and my camaro is always at the track, so is the reason that i am able to beat a v8 in the short run because of the skills that i've acquired on the dragstip? *NOPE!* the v6 will drop down into a lower gear quicker than the v8. that is fact. anyway i'm done with this one----see ya on another thread.

alright dude, we're getting way off the subject for this thread. it's cool that you're all into racing your x (which is sweet by the way) but the fact that i can overtake any v8 x off the line and on the short run is undeniable. iv'e been an avid drag racer for years , and my camaro is always at the track, so is the reason that i am able to beat a v8 in the short run because of the skills that i've acquired on the dragstip? *NOPE!* the v6 will drop down into a lower gear quicker than the v8. that is fact. anyway i'm done with this one----see ya on another thread.

If you still think that then be my guest.

well there might be some truth to this silly and useless debate if the v6 makes more tourqe down low which is probably the case since 4.6 's are reving motors and don't make there power till higher rpms. i've raced 5.0 and 4.6 stangs for the last 10 yrs at the strip and have a very hard time beleiving your 5.0 X beat a T/A in sprinting driving unless there was snow on the ground or the driver was a complete tard:rolleyes:

well there might be some truth to this silly and useless debate if the v6 makes more tourqe down low which is probably the case since 4.6 's are reving motors and don't make there power till higher rpms. i've raced 5.0 and 4.6 stangs for the last 10 yrs at the strip and have a very hard time beleiving your 5.0 X beat a T/A in sprinting driving unless there was snow on the ground or the driver was a complete tard:rolleyes:

Trust me. While the 4.6 SOHC is a revving motor, it does make damn good torque down low too. More than a 4.0 V6.

Hey smart guy, if you would have read my post more closely about my "so called" race with that TA then you would have realized I was using it as an example to prove it as being an anomalous event (aka never happen again). The point was that though it happened, did not automatically mean that my 5.0 X was somehow faster than a car with much more power, better gearing, and less weight to haul. Same goes for the parrallel example of those X comparisons that were given earlier as well.

I find it laughable that the "apparently hardcore :rolleyes: " V6'er crowd is coming out of the woodworks to debate this but still cannot take the data staring them right in the face. The V8 X's have more power (not just peak power), more torque, same tranny (tranny gearing), and great rear gearing (3.73's) while running a VERY similar curb weight. The numbers do not lie, no matter how much some of you in here seem to want them to. Stop living in fantasyland and join those of us living in reality, people.

haha thats asome you get so defencive about this topic, i for one am definetly not defending v6's or what ever your trying to say, it's a god dam explorer. you can go and spend thousands on it like you but it's still a grocery getter and people mover in the end no matter what. i bought this bloody thing so i can start a family. i don't care what it is v6 or v8 it gets the job done. save this debate for a real one like on muscle car v8's vs import 4 bangers or something. i 'm done wasting my time on this with you. rock on buddy and have fune with your supercharged station wagon!!

men thats just wrong.

an explorer can be used from a daily drive to an extreme offroad rig and also to an extreme in track racing car.

explorer is proved to be one of the most capable <<SUV>> out there, but if you call the explorer a station wagon is just wrong.

not try to defend anybody

I'm missing something. How much skill does it take to peg the accelerator in an automatic? Are we defining "short run" as 2 or 3 feet? Perhaps I could believe that a V6 would win that one if it had a slightly shorter 1st gear or shifted a bit faster.

You've got better fuel economy and you also expect to be faster??? You must really think poorly of Ford V8 engineers. Here's some actual data.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2545/act/usedcarreviewroadtest/

"Explorer acceleration is acceptable. When new, a V8 Eddie Bauer 4WD model did 0-60 mph in 8.4 seconds. Ford said V6 Explorers did it in 10.2 seconds. In practice, both engines furnish modest acceleration from a stop, but build speed quickly. Surprisingly, there's no great difference in throttle response between the two in the 40-55 mph range."

I agree that even off the line that a V6 X is not faster than a V8 X. But if it is even off the line it is due to the way the automatic transmission works with the engines and not the actual engine power. You put a V6 X with a manual trans. against a V8 X with a manual trans. (I know they didn't make them but if they did) and with drivers equal the V8 will win every time.

the 4.0L is too small a motor in too big a car, i get like 11-12 mpg in my 02, granted i have a heavy foot but hey, who doesnt....

Wow the worst tank of gas that I have had since I've owned this for the past couple of years was when I averaged 16.94 MPG. My best was as high as 20.95. I guess I am just to cheap to stomp the hell out of my gas peddle, but I do manage to drive 70-75 on the highway.

haha thats asome you get so defencive about this topic,

Not defensive. It is called being factual and making scientific comparisons instead of pulling excuses out of my rear like certain individuals do. :)

i for one am definetly not defending v6's or what ever your trying to say,

My reply was not only directed at you.

it's a god dam explorer. you can go and spend thousands on it like you but it's still a grocery getter and people mover in the end no matter what. i bought this bloody thing so i can start a family. i don't care what it is v6 or v8 it gets the job done. save this debate for a real one like on muscle car v8's vs import 4 bangers or something. i 'm done wasting my time on this with you. rock on buddy and have fune with your supercharged station wagon!!

Correction.....I will have fun with my 600+ horsepower station wagon that will (has) rape most modded (let alone stock) musclecars. ;)

I have a V6 w/towing package (Class III). I get 21 mpg on the highway and 16 to 17 around town.

The V6 has a lot of grunt, so to speak. But if you can verify that the V8 gets the same MPG, go with the V8. Why not if MPG is similiar?

Back