• Register Today It's free!

V8 or V6

94tanXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Boca Raton, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Which do you guys think is faster? I know this has probably been debated before. My mom has the V8 in her 97' Mountaineer, it has a lot of torque but doesn't seem that quick especially when it hits second gear and after. I have a 2000 rental Explorer xlt right now with the V6 and damn that truck flies for its size. I get pushed in the seat when that thing hits its sweet spot. But I'm just curious as to why the V8 has more power and torque yet every magazine test has it almost a second slower than the V6. Just about every test has the V6 at about 8.2 seconds to 60, while my car and driver right here (though from 98') has the V8 at 9.6 seconds. I think the 9.6 is off though because my moms truck is definitley faster than that. That V6 is just plain sweet. We're selling my truck when it gets back from the shop and going to buy a 2000 Ex. Eddie, I plan on doing dual flows and an intake and want to know if anyone who has done this noyiced a good improvement.
Thanks for any of your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh yeah the 2000 we're looking at has the V6 so the mods question would be for that engine

A lot has to do with the 5-speed auto that the SOHC comes with. The first three gears are very close together. Since the SOHC loves to rev, the transmission does a good job at keeping the Revs up through the first three gears. Up until 2002, the V8 Explorer came with a 4-speed auto.

The V6 sohc is faster...

I think that part of the problem is that the 302 weighs more than the more modern 4.0L V6. Also, the V6 revs higher than the 302, and the 5-speed transmission helps to keep the engine in the proper power band, something not as likely with the 4-speed 4R70W.

However, from what people are telling me about my '97 Mountaineer and the small "mods" that I did, I'm getting better gas milage than some with the V6 & I seem to be able to hold my own against the V6's. Whenever I get the money and the time, I don't think that I'll have a problem taking on even the new SUVs that do the 1/4 mile in 15.9s since 302 parts are so plentiful.

it would be nice if the sohc v-6 or the v-8 came with a manual transmission. i love the 5 speed manual in my explorer.

Specs For 2002 Explorer

Engine Data

Engine type 4.0L SOHC V-6 4.6L SOHC V-8
Displacement 245 cu.in./4.0L 281 cu.in./4.6L
Bore 3.9 in./99.1 mm 3.6 in./91.4 mm
Stroke 3.3 in./83.8 mm 3.6 in./91.4 mm
Compression 9.7:1 9.4:1
Power 210 hp@ 5,250 240 hp@ 4,750

Zero-60 mph 10.2 seconds 8.6 seconds

Torque 250 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm 280 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm
Cylinders 60-degree V-6 90-degree V-8

V-8 4.6L will have more performance parts since it is the stang engine and the vic engine, go v8 only. just about the same mpg also

for the sohc in both engines blue heck yeah the v6 will get whooped by the v8, but the v6 sohc against the straight v8, and the v6 wins. i've raced my friend and proved it to myself and him. however, you have MANY MANY more mods for the straight v8 than the sohc v6 or v8. if i wanted performance, in my opinion, i would get the straight v8 and mod the heck out of it.

just a little comparison between my friend's 99 sohc sport auto and my 98 ohv 5.0 (4-door).

his sport is quicker off the line, but definitely not faster. note the words quicker and faster. he can leave me on stop light race. having a bigger engine and extra two doors doesn't help me either.

i have more low-end torque (or more torque available to use). it should be since i have a larger displacement engine. this helps me push my heavy vehicle.:D

i get 10-12 mpg on highway/city driving combined. my friend gets 17-20 mpg.

both the sohc and ohv engines are great. it's just a matter of your own preference. i suggest you test drive both the 4.0 sohc, the 4.6 sohc v8 (2002 models only), and the 5.0 ohv v8. think about your intended purpose for your explorer and base your decision from there. good luck.

Back