• Register Today It's free!

buzzed

ExplorerWayne98

Reaction score
City, State
Guyton, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer
Hello, I'm a new member to the site and am looking for help with my 1998 Eddie Bauer 4.0 Explorer. The dash switch has AWD, 4 low and 4 high. It makes a buzzing sound when I decelerate or when I try to put it in reverse. Reverse does not work anymore it only buzzes. I thought it might be the transfer case but I'm not sure? Whats the best fix for this and where do I get parts? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! Does reverse work at all? Sounds like if reverse is shot all together it might be a good time to do a transmission rebuild.

Grinding?

Wayne, when you say "buzzing", is it like a high pitched grinding, when you let off the gas to coast? Let me know.
Welcome to the site!

It has to be the transfer case. I'm getting the same problems and had a "new" tranny put in by shop 3 weeks ago so it's definitely not the transmission. It also sound like someone is using a high power drill below you.

Yeah I had the same thing..."The Beginning of the End" for my 4405. Was pretty easy to fix though.

Back