What is that CLANK noise under my truck? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is that CLANK noise under my truck?

MostDeaf.com

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
So, it's weird cause this just starting happening after I came back from the mechanic last month.

I have a 1997 Explorer Sport and sometimes when I'm driving I hear a 'CLANK' noise under the truck.

I know it's not the tranny cause it's not during a gear shift of whatever. It usually only happens when I'm driving about 40mph or so.

Then yesterday when I was backing up to park I heard the 'CLANK' noise again but this time the car stopped moving and it was a loud buzzing noise (or grinding noise).

So I stopped but the car in park, turned it off and the buzzing noise stopped.

I started the car again and put it in reverse and the car backed up fine.
I checked the rear diff and it had enough fluid in there

What the heck is going on???? :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like the transmission or the linkage cable to me because you said it basically slipped out of reverse and you heard a grinding noise.

For a clunk type noise I would check the driveshaft slip yoke, try a search on this.

For the noise you hear at 40 mph, is it when you hit a bump or is it a constant thumping?

It happends at any speed now.

On the highway it slips out and the loud grinding noise happends until I put the car in Neutral.

I stop the car. put it in park, then back in drive and it drives like nothing happend.
Should I just take it to a tranny shop??

this is driving me insane

It's a 97 sport btw

It happends at any speed now.

On the highway it slips out and the loud grinding noise happends until I put the car in Neutral.

I stop the car. put it in park, then back in drive and it drives like nothing happend.
Should I just take it to a tranny shop??

this is driving me insane

It's a 97 sport btw

Sounds like a u-joint to me.

is that a tranny problem? Or can I print it to a regular mechanic?

Back