• Register Today It's free!

BW 4404 difference

firecaptain49

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt5.0 awd,'05 limited
i have a 96 w/bw 4404 awd t-case, it has the 4 bolt circle flange. Went and purchased a bw 4404 w/ 6 bolt cup type flange is there any difference other than front driveshaft? or did i waste my money on new t-case. Ford says spline shaft is different? I don't want to tear into it unless i know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you mean 4406? The 4404 is the 5.0 AWd case

firecaptain49 said:
i have a 96 w/bw 4404 awd t-case, it has the 4 bolt circle flange. Went and purchased a bw 4404 w/ 6 bolt cup type flange is there any difference other than front driveshaft? or did i waste my money on new t-case. Ford says spline shaft is different? I don't want to tear into it unless i know.

A little confused on exactly what you mean. All BW4404 AWD t-cases had a 6 bolt, 31spline input from the transmission, to match the "full size ford" extension housing on the back of the 4R70W.

There is a cup type flange on the front of the t-case for the front driveshaft, a flange (with 4 bolts) on the rear of the t-case for the rear driveshaft.

i have a 5.0 awd the t-case on mine has a 4 bolt on front and rear drive shaft the one i purchased has the cup on the front and 4 bolt on rear

more info: ford part # f77a-7a195-va on the one i purchaced and ford part # f67a-7a195-mb on the one in my explorer.

Back