replacing transfer case chain (BW 4404 AWD case) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replacing transfer case chain (BW 4404 AWD case)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay great, you have the early 1996 front shaft. That one has no CV joint, that is a double cardon joint at the rear of the shaft. Those are easy to service, there is just three u-joints to deal with.

The big thing is that you know if it's bad easily. So then the AWD is surely the only thing left besides the front carrier itself.

Okay. This is good news. It has to be a lot cheaper to replace 3 u-joints than a rebuilt shaft with the CV joint. I do have a question about the ball and socket thing I see in there. What do I do with that? And what do you mean by the front carrier? Thanks for following this thread.

Okay. This is good news. It has to be a lot cheaper to replace 3 u-joints than a rebuilt shaft with the CV joint. I do have a question about the ball and socket thing I see in there. What do I do with that? And what do you mean by the front carrier? Thanks for following this thread.

nj...I'll fill ya in on how my transfer case sounds. If I take off from a standstill under hard acceleration I get an EXTREMELY loud thump...sometimes a few thuds in a row. If I take off the front driveshaft the noise is gone. I have changed the driveshaft and still get the thump. I would say if you are getting a clicking try the driveshaft first. Mine's definitely the case (I hope :rolleyes: ) and I liken the noise to a bike with a loose chain. Remember when you would pedal really hard and the chain would slip? Magnify that by 100. Hope this helps ya out. I feel your pain. LOL! ;)

nj...I'll fill ya in on how my transfer case sounds. If I take off from a standstill under hard acceleration I get an EXTREMELY loud thump...sometimes a few thuds in a row. If I take off the front driveshaft the noise is gone. I have changed the driveshaft and still get the thump. I would say if you are getting a clicking try the driveshaft first. Mine's definitely the case (I hope :rolleyes: ) and I liken the noise to a bike with a loose chain. Remember when you would pedal really hard and the chain would slip? Magnify that by 100)

Okay this helps, and now that CDW6212R has informed me that mine is a double cardon joint and relativly cheap to eliminate as the source of the noise, I'm going to try that today. But does a transfer case make noise when the chain is stretched, but not to the point of slipping?

Okay this helps, and now that CDW6212R has informed me that mine is a double cardon joint and relativly cheap to eliminate as the source of the noise, I'm going to try that today. But does a transfer case make noise when the chain is stretched, but not to the point of slipping?

Not sure nj. I'm just assuming mine is slipping but it could also be my viscous clutch that's making the clunk. It's a definite possibility that your case is making the ticking sound you're experiencing but I would go with the shaft first. Worst that could happen is you have a really solid drive shaft and then go from there.

P.S. just did a cardan joint on mine and bought the balljoint/u joint press from my local harbor freight store for like 30 bucks. Made it really easy to get the joint out.

I have never done the joints of one of those. How is it different from any other u-joints to change?

"...I do have a question about the ball and socket thing I see in there. What do I do with that?..."
Can you post a picture of that, it doesn't sound the way I would describe a double cardon joint.

I have never done the joints of one of those. How is it different from any other u-joints to change?

"...I do have a question about the ball and socket thing I see in there. What do I do with that?..."
Can you post a picture of that, it doesn't sound the way I would describe a double cardon joint.

I'm a little confused about the ball and socket too. I thought you either had a cardan on one side and cv on the other...like mine. Or cardans on both ends. Do any of em have a slip joint like the rear shaft?

That "ball and socket" is the central portion of a double-cardan joint.

MountaineerGreen's images
driveshaftdouble_008_Small_.jpg

driveshaftdouble_010_Small_.jpg

MountaineerGreen's driveshaft thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

You'll have to talk to MountaineerGreen about that -- he's had plenty of experience tearing down the double cardan.

But I think in general, you can just clean em up, regrease, and reassemble.

I never looked hard enough at the center section before. I didn't think that there was a connection in the center.

Does anyone have a picture of the chain that goes in this TC? I would like to see one if anyone can help.

Does anyone have a picture of the chain that goes in this TC? I would like to see one if anyone can help.

Whle not the exact case, this cut away shows what I think you're looking for

morsechain.jpg

Keep in mind if you're following this thread, I am not sure it is the chain. I am looking into front drive shaft universals and promise to post a resolution to this when I figure out where the noise is coming from.

Scroll down a ways. It's a 4405 but this should be pretty close.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182071

Thanks for the link. The reason I wanted to see a picture of the chain is because I work for Borg Warner and build the chains for TC and Transmissions. I wasn't sure which chain went in this TC. The chain pictured in your link we don't make that style anymore. The links look the same but the guides and pins and rockers are different. Thanks again

You might hunt on eBay for the sellers who sell separate parts, chains are common.

Back