Reaction score
City, State
Europe (Germany)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4.0 sohc xlt
according to this brilliant TC rebuild
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182071&page=5

Hi,

have a short question about the effort for spinning the COMPANION FLANGE by hand.

Befor rebuilding my TC, there was no resistance to spin the COMPANION FLANGE by hand and it has a little tolerance.

At the end of this rebuild i tighten the nut with specified torque 300NM, but now there's so much resistance to rotate the flange by hand and has no tolerance.

If i loosen the nut the main shaft rotate more slightly.

What was my fault while i was assembling the TC together?:(

Thanks in advance

Wolfgang

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

according to this brilliant TC rebuild
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182071&page=5

Hi,

have a short question about the effort for spinning the COMPANION FLANGE by hand.

Befor rebuilding my TC, there was no resistance to spin the COMPANION FLANGE by hand and it has a little tolerance.

At the end of this rebuild i tighten the nut with specified torque 300NM, but now there's so much resistance to rotate the flange by hand and has no tolerance.

If i loosen the nut the main shaft rotate more slightly.

What was my fault while i was assembling the TC together?:(

Thanks in advance

Wolfgang

Below are two copies scanned from the Ford Shop Manual. In the exploded view of internal parts, note Item # 24. On the second image, there is a warning about assembly procedure of Item #24 possibly causing difficulty with clearances-- this seems to be what I believe is causing the "tightening-up" of your output shaft.

Correcting the situation will require disassembly of the rear portion of the transfer case. imp

img05610.jpg

img05710.jpg

Hi IMP,

thanks so much for your speedy answer and the repair manual pics!!!

Some guys in our forum explorer4x4.de told me, "don't worry, be happy! These are all new bearings, they have to shake down for a while."

I didn't rebuild a TC before, so i didn't know if this behaviour is normal for a "new" TC.

While i was disassembling the used TC i also put out all of the clutch disc's to see if they are worn out. But they were in best condition, maybe that was my fault.
This is a picture from the disassembling, maybe someone could see, if the clutch pack is wrong? Maybe the previous owner "build some mistakes" too.

16446265vg.jpg

I will reopen the housing, hope i could identify what causes the tight rotating of the main shaft.

thanks so much and i will keep you informed!

greetz

Wolfgang

I am a curious guy, so i have to find the fault -> and i found it.
Thank God, it wasn't my mistake!!! Yes!!!
The company who fixed the bearing seat, put 3 shims (0.02inch) under the bearing.
I removed these shims, put the casehalfs together with 8 bolts and tighten the nut.
What should i say, everything runs fine!!!

Some pictures of the clutch pack (you could not put the discs together in a wrong way, cause there are notches).

Thanks so much!

16447908tj.jpg

16447909yo.jpg

16447910eb.jpg

16447911tg.jpg

16447912rd.jpg

16447913xs.jpg

good night/day

Wolfgang

We are glad you solved the problem, and were wise enough to question the unusual tightness in turning the shaft. Imp

Back