• Register Today It's free!

BY-PASS YOUR AMP!!!

MEXEXP

Reaction score
City, State
Mexicali, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited
For those guys who haven't bypassed the stock amp for their aftermarket radio, Do it, because the difference is night and day, I installed a small amp and sub during the weekend and my friend who was a professional installer said to me if I bypassed the stock amp when I installed the radio, and he checked it out and it wasn't, so he did it and the difference in sound was very noticeable.

The only thing he did was remove the Amp and jumped the cables from the stereo to the speakers with the Amp removed. And now it sounds awesome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think my amp may be going bad. Is the amp an integral part of the tape deck? Where is it located?

No mine is a 1993 sport and the amp is located below the back window on the passenger side, you have to remove the complete plastic surrounding the windows, with the seatbelts and everything on that side.

Most aftermarket HUs require the by-pass anyway. The amp is part of the factory HU. It's located in the right side rear cargo area, just above the fender well.

Ok, so you guys are saying that even a stock stereo system comes with its own amp? I believe I have the jbl stock system, so I should check out the amp which is located in the rear passenger side?

Back