Bypass wiring for low range switch? 2wd low! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bypass wiring for low range switch? 2wd low!

Monz

Reaction score
City, State
Stocholm
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hi,

It would be very interesting to find out if anyone could help me with this problem?

I have '94 Explorer XLT with auto gear case. The switch panel (for 4x4 and low range mode, picture 2) is broken (or at least doesn't work properly). I can get the gear box to engage 4x4 mode but the front hubs are broken so I can't run it in that way.

However I had it in 2wd and low range for some time but now suddenly it's back in 2wd hi range. The low range switch is broken.

Is there any way to bypass the switch by connecting the right combination of wires in the socket (picture 3) in order to force it into low range?

I use the truck mainly for pulling boat and trailer out of water...

I do realise there are plenty of threads in the forum relating to this, but I haven't found the specific instructions I'm looking for.

Pictures (no weird stuff):
http://www.boatlife.se/forum/index.php?showtopic=13226

Thanks.
Monz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing more... By looking at the swich (the circuit board) it would seem as some previous owner of the truck has connected pin no 6 a 8 through a little switch. I don't think this is stock (?) and I can't figure out what it's supposed to do. Any clues?

AFAIK there is no "2wd low" range on the transfer case. If you pull the shift motor and shift it manually there are only 3 detents.. 4wd high, 2wd high, and 4wd low.

To run in 2wd low you put it in 4wd low and don't lock your manual hubs (assuming you have manual hubs and not autos).

~Mark

Well, I guess it's possible I've been stuck running 4x4 low in the transfer case but with the front hubs not engaging it have effectively been 2wd low.

I believe the hubs are automatic (or used to be :).

I will do some more tests.

//M

AFAIK there is no "2wd low" range on the transfer case. If you pull the shift motor and shift it manually there are only 3 detents.. 4wd high, 2wd high, and 4wd low.

To run in 2wd low you put it in 4wd low and don't lock your manual hubs (assuming you have manual hubs and not autos).

~Mark

That's how mine works.

Is there any way to bypass the switch by connecting the right combination of wires in the socket (picture 3) in order to force it into low range?
I don't know how to wire it in electrically, but I know you can manually shift the t-case. Pull the shift motor off, then you can grab the shaft with a pair of pliers or similar and rotate to whichever position you want. Certainly not a very convenient way to shift from low to high, but can be done.

I found a pic of the transfer case selector if you wanted to do it manually. You just use a pair of pliers to rotate it so it points to the gear you want.. (once the shift motor is off).

3411793781_66e6960890.jpg

~Mark

I have manual hubs. When I was towing the neighbors 80's Crown Victoria up their STEEP driveway, I just put the X in 4Lo but didn't engage the hubs (I was on Dry Concrete). Which gave me 2Lo.

I was able to pull the Crown Vic up a Steep driveway with a 90deg. turn in the middle, AT IDLE! It was pretty cool...

Replace your hubs with manuals, and re-build the shift motor.....Your buttons will probably work again...

Ryan

Thanks guys, for your input.

I might just try shifting it manually to start with.

//M

Those who've spent time with the shift motor talk about hooking power directly up to the shift motor to test it. But I'm not sure how you would use that knowledge to figure out how to bypass the factory electronics to shift the t-case.

Is there a reason you aren't considering simply replacing the broken switch?

Back