• Register Today It's free!

Cabin air filter location

h2osurf

Reaction score
City, State
SanDiego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport 4x4
Hey guys, i got a 99 x sport and on the way to work this morning the air vents had a mildewy smell coming out of them. I was just wondering if its maybe a bad cabin air filter(do x's have them?) Its got over 90k miles on it, im pretty sure its never been changed. Never smelt anything like this before, i've had it almost two years. It was to repugnant, but just kind foul. I usually drive with the windows down, but san diegos in a heat wave... any help would be great! thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They don't have cabin filters. I would turn on the vents and air it out some. Maybe turn the heat on and dry them out if there is any moisture in there. I've had that happen sometimes on a damp day when I hadn't used the vents in a while. It goes away after I turn them on for a little while.

Spray lysol in the ac inlets, works great, ozium works also

Hey anyone know where the air intake is for the cabin? And I wonder if its possible to retrofit some kinda hepa filter in it? Like a small vacuum hepa filter. They are like 3"x6" and high flow.

cool, i didnt think they did, but thought id ask. ill definitly air it out and try the lysol in the AC inlets. Retro-fitting a hepa filter would be pretty cool, especially for the people with allergies. thanks the input guys

The problem is bacterial growth in the AC ducting system, Find the inlets and spray them with lysol, several times over several days.
The main AC inlet is usually under the glovebox and along the leading edge of the windshield (not the defroster vents)

I would be great to filter the air before it gets into the truck. Don't know why Ford skimped on it.
Will check out that location.

If you run the air in the "outside air" position as opposed to the "recirculate" it will help get rid of the stale smell.
If you feel you need to use the "recirculate" position switch it to "outside" a couple of min. before turning off the car. That will help dry out the plates the air passes over.

Good advice I definetly need to get the musty odor out of the vents. So no cabin filters for 99XLT's I thought it was just me that couldnt find it anywhere!

go to pep boys or autozone or any local auto parts store and get a can of air conditioning odor treatment made by TMP.you turn on the truck and put ac on high filtering from outside spray the odor treatment through th outside wiper cowl it will remove the smell.probably could use ozium also but i dont know if that removes it permanently.this stuff does a great job though i use it all the time..

spindlecone said:
The problem is bacterial growth in the AC ducting system, Find the inlets and spray them with lysol, several times over several days.
The main AC inlet is usually under the glovebox and along the leading edge of the windshield (not the defroster vents)

You can also check to see if the condensate tube is clogging up. I had a similar problem on my 4Runner.

One time in p.r a little mice make home the fan . Wen i put the ac on something went rrrrrrrr ,one day later i was looking what was that auful smell . Surjury AT the fan revealed the cadaver 'cleaned all and lysol for a couple fo days ;]

Back