calling all shade tree mechanics.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

calling all shade tree mechanics..

HMMM IAC, I forgot they still used those on the 6's. After so many years with the 4.6, I forgot what was on these other engines. :)

BTW I ordered the harness kit for checking computer codes and scanning for 95 and up for $182 from http://www.obd-2.com .

It plugs into a computer or laptop, and includes the modules for imports, Chrysler, GM, and Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They did serious work on it..

They checked everything, giving it a clean bill of health when they finished. This included hooking it up to diag computer, sniff test, scoping it, and every other tool they just about had :D. It also took them a couple of hours to find it - they warmed it up, took it for a test drive, and it did failed for the mechanic. That's when the serious testing started - and they had to change the plugs on a hot engine. They also adjusted the TPS - thinking that may have been it, drove it again, found it still acted up.

Yes, $225 is alot of money ($50 for Motorcraft platinum plugs). But, I don't care, because they fixed it! I hate paying a shop, only to not have whatever problem I took it in for not fixed.

Seriously, I didn't even think of the plugs, because they was so new! I was talking to them, and was told the bosch plugs are garbage (and now I believe them.)

As for what happened to the plugs, there's a ceramic tip with a itty bitty dot of metal on the end. That dot of metal was blown away on the bad plugs. Only one plug still had the metal showing.

Oh well. Like I said - I never thought the plugs would of gone bad. Add that to the list of things to check when a engine is running rough (even if it idle's smoothly, which it did..)

I had this picture in my mind that the mechanic just walked up to it and pulled out a plug or something like that. You know, one of those "we get these in here all the time" kind of things.

It doesn't seem quite so expensive knowing that they did all that troubleshooting.

I agree, its pretty amazing that those plugs were shot, considering you just put them in there. Whoda' thunk??

Adjusting the TPS

Does anyone know how can you adjust the TPS? I did the resistance test on my TPS and it didn't register the correct ohms. Before I buy a new one I would like to try an adjustment. Thanks!

it occurred to me on the way home yesterday as my truck did its usual 'refuse-to-shift-back-into-first-gear-right-away-after-I-go-around-a-corner' routine that my TPS might be the problem. it would explain some other minor engine accelleration quirks I've noticed too. I'll get the volt meter on it first (as almost everyone who's read this thread seems to have:)), but I was wondering if anyone has replaced their TPS recently and might be able to tell me how much the part is and what kind of a pain in the butt the actual procedure is going to be?

thanks

Aaron

To replace the TPS is two screws.. 1 plug.. 2 minutes if the snow shield looking thing is not on.. (the plastic thing over the intake plenum).. I think I paid $30 for it..

We always carry a spare and for the first time I got to use it.. My sister in laws idle was jumping all over the place on her Ford Taurus.. It is old enough to have no MAS but new enough to have the TPS.. It looked the same.. measured almost the same (except it was jumpy).. so I plugged in the spare from the explorer and viola.. no more jumpy idle.. It is nice to know that a spare actually has a use...

Maniac-
that's what I wanted to hear!! well, $3 instead of $30 would be nice, but shelling out $80 for a single O2 sensor recently had me squealing from the feeling (oinkin' from the boinkin') and I'm happy to know the TPS isn't quite as bad.

Back