• Register Today It's free!

Cam Position Sensor

banbro

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
I did a search for this but didn't turn up the results I was looking for so I am hoping someone who has done this repair will be able to answer this for me. Back in April my truck started making a squeal which grew in volume and frequency. Thanks to the help of this board it was diagnosed as the CPS and after the removal of the CPS shaft, some polishing, and lubrication the noise went away. Well the noise came back recently so I pulled the CPS shaft again and ran through the same steps of cleaning, polishing, and lubing. Put everything back together and it was good for a week before the noise came back. My question is it possible to buy the shaft assembly and if so where... dealer only? I hit two different parts stores yesterday and all they had was the sensor itself for $30. I saw in a previous posting some one mentioned the sensor for $30 and a drive assembly for $100... does the drive assembly include the shaft and is there a way I can ask for it that a parts guy will be able to find it? If anyone who has made this replacement and has the part # and store where purchased I would really appreciate the info.

Thanks all!
Brock

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TTT

Still looking for info on this if anyone can answer.

Thanks...

Email torre@fordpartsnetwork.com , he'll get back to you with a schematic and a price.

Are you sure its the CMP drive? The serprentine idlers and tensioner can make a similar noise when failing, and they fail WAY more often.

Yeah, positive it is the cmp. When I take it out and spin the shaft I get the squeal. Incidently with the belts all off and the engine running the squeal still exists.

Thanks fot the email address, I will send a note off directly.

Thanks...

Brock

I have a brilyant idea. Check the stang forums cause these guys are selling them all the time as new take-off parts.

They buy the Ford crate motors (which is an Explorer 5.0) and take off the ACC brackets, water pumps, CKP, CMP, etc and throw their stang stuff back on.

www.corral.net
www.stangnet.com

Good luck!

I think it is only available through your ford dealer. The cam sensor and "sycnronizer" base are what you will need. Make sure you mark the base and the "shutter" piece inside the syncronizer base. Almost like removing a "old syle" distributor. There is a special tool to line up "syncronizer base" but you can do it without it if the shutter piece inside isn't broken.

Back