P0016 - Cranskhaft Position Sensor vs Cam Position Sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0016 - Cranskhaft Position Sensor vs Cam Position Sensor

Rob&Robby

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have a 2011 Explorer, and I am experiencing what feels like a misfire. The car cranks, runs and drives, but it has a miss, and a CEL... I took it to AutoZone, they scanned it, and it gave me a P0016 code. They said it was most likely either the Crankshaft Position Sensor ($35), OR the Camshaft Position Sensor ($100) because that code means they are not in sync with each other. To know which one, I would need to take it to a shop to let them test them both.

Figuring a diagnostic charge would be at least $100, I decided to just buy the Crankshaft Position Sensor ($35), and cross my fingers... Worst case scenario, if I ended up having to buy the Cam sensor, at least they would both be new for the money I saved in diagnostic fee...

The problem is, I can't find the Crankshaft Position Sensor on the motor anywhere. Autozone said it would most likely be down around the main crankshaft pulley / harmonic balancer... I pulled the passenger side wheel off, and partially removed the plastic inner fender well on the passenger side, but I don't see it anywhere. Looking all around all of the pulleys... Nothing.

I can't find ANYTHING online showing where it is located. Thanks in advance for your help.

youtube. p0016

If the ecoboost engine is close-it should be near the same position.

NSFW!!!! language but it shows some good info, with other video links to the right.

Caution. language! Lot's of expletives. No kids! cover your ears!

Looks like that is the right place, but it appears that you pretty much have to pull most of the exhaust off of the engine to get to it.... can that be right??? I was able to get the small heatshield off, and I saw the wires going back into there, but I could not visibly see the sensor, or get to it due to a large exhaust canister (the catalytic converter??) with an 02 sensor.... Looks like the large canister is part of the exhaust manifold. Could it be that you gotta take off the entire exhaust manifold to get to the Crankshaft Position Sensor???

Back