• Register Today It's free!

Cam Sensor Help?

jgrimracing

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xl
I found several threads here related to cam sensors but I can't find anything with exactly what I am looking for.

I have a 1998 Explorer 4.0 OHV, that had cracked heads, ended up getting a replacement engine. What we didn't notice before installing the engine is the cam sensor was different. I have found that the engine was from a 2000. The 98 cam sensor had a 3 wire plug. The 2000 engine has a 2 wire cam sensor. The older sensor will not just bolt in place of the new one. What I am wondering is can I get away with changing the plugs from the 3 wire to 2 wire and if so which wire would we eliminate.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

CMP sensor shield

I suspect if the third wire is black that it is the shield connection to ground. This was done in 1996 but later deleted. My 2000 has just the wire (dark blue/orange) going the PCM pin 85 and the wire (gray/red or just gray) which is the sensor return common that goes to PCM pin 91. I would just connect the black wire to the nearest ground.

The 4.0 ohv used two types of cam sensors (as you already
know), a hall-effect type and a magnetic pickup or variable
reluctance type. The signals generated are different, so I doubt
if changing the plug-in would work...?

What about changing the entire synchro drive unit? I'm pretty
sure either type will bolt into the block, then you can use the
correct sensor for your model year.

Thanks guys for both your replies. We were going to change the whole drive unit, but when I pulled the one from the old engine it is pretty worn. I think we may end up having to pick up a new one for the 98 sensor and going with that.

The third wire is indeed black, though.

Back