Can Hood switch cause Door ajar light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can Hood switch cause Door ajar light

gasparny

Reaction score
City, State
CARMEL, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Hi all,

Having trouble with Door ajar. I have read all the "fixes" but my scenario is a little different. Basic problem is interior and right door puddle lights stay on until they time out. The driver puddle light does not work. The bulb is good.
As long as the interior lights are on, the left hand powerlock switch and the left hand mirror adjust won't operate. Right side switches operate fine.

Now here is the kicker, If I turn off the interior lights via the dashboard switch everything works fine, except the interior lights of course. All the door ajar switches work. The light comes on and the chimes work whe I open an close all doors and hatches.

The exception is the hood. When I open it the door ajar lamp does not illuminate. I have looked for the switch which I am guessing there is one. Another thead indicates that it is located over the passenger side wheel well. But I see nothing there. Maybe it fell through the opening in the fenderwell. Does this sound possible? This could explain why the puddle light does not work if it is somehow grounded or shorted. Any advice is strongly appreciated. I also priced out the Security control module and it is not that expensive. Could not however find a listing for the GEM. Is there a different name for it? Thanks for listening.

The hood does not turn on the interior lights or the puddle lights.

My friend's 02 did this. The door latches have a rubber film on them. When they start to break up, they get in the way of the latch. Take a knife and cut the black rubber film out of the way, back door too. That was the only way we could get the Door Ajar light to turn off.

Back