Can I drive without my instrument cluster? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I drive without my instrument cluster?

crankyjew

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac
Hey y'all-

I'm planning on having my instrument cluster rebuilt soon. If I need to drive my ST while it's out getting done... is that okay?

I've read about vehicles not starting if the cluster is out, and I'm wondering if driving while it's not connected will mess up my odometer reading.

As far as speed while driving, I can hook up my phone via a obdII adapter.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That shouldent be a problem I believe. I work on cars all the time and do this. My BMW e36 doesent even have one now. But I'm not sure if newer cars have some sort of communication with the ecu that disables the car from starting if removed. I've never heard of that but that's the only way I could imagine them preventing a car from starting.

Really, I think it will be fine. Reason being is in the raceing community people swap out stock clusters for individual guages all the time, myself included. Never once have I heard of it providing a problem.

Works fine without one, although I don't recommend it. If you do, make sure you hook up the headlight and dimmer switches. You will lose radio and power window controls. You also will not record mileage because the memory is contained in the dash cluster.

excellent, thanks for the replies fellas. I sent my cluster out to PA to RT Grim for reman today, hopefully should have it back in a couple of days.

regarding the mileage, is there some sort of reprogram a dealer could do for me?

Unless the repair erases the mileage, I wouldn't bother with the reprogramming for just two days' mileage To be completely honest when you sell the vehicle, document the repair and the mileage you drove while the cluster was out.

great, thanks for the info. spoke to RT Grim today, I should have my cluster back tomorrow. Apparently they had to replace the microprocessor, two gauge motors, some connectors and something else that I'll find out tomorrow.

it's a little bit disappointing that so many of these ST clusters are going bad these days. engineered to fail?

They all seemed to fail at the same time. I replaced mine with a used unit (higher mileage), and that one, too, has problems. I'm going to send it to RT Grim as soon as I have the time to remove it and temporarily reinstall the old one.

Got my cluster back today, happy with the service from RT Grim. My oil and temp gauges are now working properly!

fuel gauge... not so much. seems like the sending unit is bad, any way I can better diagnose it before I go and pull the tank?

When my original cluster and my replacement cluster failed, the fuel gauges also failed. (When I originally installed the replacement cluster, which then functioned perfectly, the fuel gauge was accurate.) I never had an issue before they began to fail. Are you sure they didn't miss something?

Are you sure they didn't miss something?

Not really sure, no. But, my fuel gauge isn't displaying any signs of failure that the other two did. (fluttering, pegged the wrong way, etc) Occasionally, it works, and accurately. Usually, nothing. I've got a p0463 and p0461 throwing the CEL. That's why I'm hoping to find a better way to diagnose exactly what's up with it.

That's what mine does now. When the cluster is out, the fuel gauge is out. When the cluster receives power, sometimes immediately, and sometimes after a little while, it accurately reflects the fuel level. My previous cluster, among other things, had a fuel gauge that shimmied, twice or three times went the opposite way, etc. You're throwing fuel-related codes that I am not, however, so I see where you're coming from.

Back