Can I intergrate Coax speakers into a Component setup? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I intergrate Coax speakers into a Component setup?

Makahveli

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport and AMG 300CE
Okay heres whats up....I have had a component setup in the front of the explorer for about 8 years now and the drivers are starting to go out, you know that distorted rattling sound they start to make when they get out and make you not want to play your music as loud. BTW the setup is all boston acoustics powered by an eclipse amplifier. I recently ran across a guy selling 4 2-way coax speakers all boston acoustics older models but he only want $40 for all 4 and all working perfect from what he says. Would there be a problem replacing the component mids with a 2way coax speaker? Would it hurt my amp? Won't sount good? It'll be like having two tweeters to each side at the front or no?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can. Run the tweeters off the cross over but run your coax off the amp. This is how I did it.

One thing to look into is what ohm your mids are, compared to the ohm of the coax speakers.

yea you can drop the woofer for a coax but you will not get any highs out of it and im almost certain it would not sound as well as your old bostons..but then again its your hearing and your taste so if its what ya want go for it.
About hurting the amp? no you should be fine assuming your going from one 4 ohm to another or so on

Okay guys I switched from mids to coax and I'll tell you immediately I was able to tell the difference!!! I want some plain mid's back......Anybody know where or who I can buy some quality mids from? I see on ebay they want like $300, I can go buy another whole component set for that price.

BTW the old mids I had had an rms rating of 15-110 watts, and the coax's were 35rms, I thought being the same brand (boston acoustics) I'd still be happy.......WRONG!!!!!! So I learned from this the method does work but the quality and purpose or certain speakers really show!!!

Okay guys I switched from mids to coax and I'll tell you immediately I was able to tell the difference!!! I want some plain mid's back......Anybody know where or who I can buy some quality mids from? I see on ebay they want like $300, I can go buy another whole component set for that price.

BTW the old mids I had had an rms rating of 15-110 watts, and the coax's were 35rms, I thought being the same brand (boston acoustics) I'd still be happy.......WRONG!!!!!! So I learned from this the method does work but the quality and purpose or certain speakers really show!!!

if only you would of read my post sooner :( honestly i would look into replacing the old everything with something newer.. its only a matter of time before the tweeter or xover go out in the old set. what do you like more out of sound quality or in your face just plain loud?

I want sound quality!!! I am one of those people that knows and understand dolby digital and surround sound unlike other people who will just line up 5 speakers in front of them and call it surround sound. I never even thought that crossovers went out, and yeah the tweeters are pretty good high quality tweets but I'll hold them as replacements probly. Who has the best for the budget? I need something that still sounds good with the windows down.

i have had xovers go out before the speakers or tweeters but also got them replaced under warranty. how much are you looking at spending?

you will be very pleased with the morel maximo 6 comps....sq is insanely good and amazon has them for like 165 and they retail for around 315

97EDB what kinda setup do you run?

morel tempo 6s and w6v2s...im thinkin about just going with 1 10 from now on...sq is so addicting...

I have two 15's with the amp at a low setting, why so big and set so low, I figured the setup would last alot longer! As of thursday I'll have a better outlook of my money situation and then may buy a seyup that sounds to be very applauded!!!

when you have you budget lined up let me know what ya have to work with and i can point you in a good direction..IMO if ya want sq i would really consider selling the 15s and going with a 10 or maybe even a 12(just depends which one) 15s are just sluggers and not very accurate

okay, life is good again, got the job back, whats the reccomendations for a front stage setup? I like hearing everything in the music

okay I'm back, what reccomendations you got?

Back