• Register Today It's free!

Can I remove the auto door lock?

Fantasymon

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hi, I have a 2000. When I go like a couple MPH or so, all of my doors automatically lock. I absolutely hate this feature....Its a pain! Everytime you go to pick someone up you have to unlock the doors...When not in my car and needing to get into my cargo door, rear doors, or passenger door, I have to walk around to the drivers door and press unlock... This may sound kind of stupid and make me seem lazy but trust me it gets VERY old...

Anyone got any ideas how to remove it?

Thanks!
Grant-P

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fantasymon, does your XLS have the keyless entry system?..the keypad on the outside of the drivers door. If so, look in the owner's manuel on page 117. It will tell you to turn the ignition off and all the doors are closed.

1. enter the 5 digit entry code.

2. press and release the 3/4(button) control while holding the 7/8 control.

3. release the 7/8 control.

the horn will chirp once if autolock was deactivated or twice (one short and one long chirp) if autolock was activated

Or........

1. turn the ignition key from OFF to ON/ACC.

2. press the power door UNLOCK control three times.

3. turn the ignition key from ON/ACC to OFF.

4. Press the power door UNLOCK control three times.

5. turn the ignitionkey from OFF to ON/ACC. A horn chip indicates the enable/disable feature is entered.

6. press the power door UNLOCK control one time.

7. press the power door LOCK control to toggle the Autolock/Relock state. You will recieve a horn chirp followed by either a long honk, autolock/relock is enabled, or no honk, autolock/relock is disabled.

8. turn ignition OFF

If auto lock/relock has been changed, the horn will chirp to confirm procedure is complete.

The trick is you got to do this within 30 seconds or the procedure will have to be repeated. If you don;t do it by that time, then you got to wait for a another 30 seconds.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Xplor
1. turn the ignition key from OFF to ON/ACC.

2. press the power door UNLOCK control three times.

3. turn the ignition key from ON/ACC to OFF.

4. Press the power door UNLOCK control three times.

5. turn the ignitionkey from OFF to ON/ACC. A horn chip indicates the enable/disable feature is entered.

6. press the power door UNLOCK control one time.

7. press the power door LOCK control to toggle the Autolock/Relock state. You will recieve a horn chirp followed by either a long honk, autolock/relock is enabled, or no honk, autolock/relock is disabled.

8. turn ignition OFF

. . .within 30 seconds. . .
you gotta wonder who comes up with these. . .

I already tried that one several times...never worked...
I do have the keyless entry but not the keypad on the outside of my door.

Are these directions for a 2000?

Whats ON/ACC? Like turn ignition on or just power?

Thanks, Grant

Yup, these are the directions for the 2000. The ON/ACC would be turn it ignition switch back, this is on page 83. I think the radio would just come on with this mode, not warning lights, etc.

Okay now I am not so sure I have the autolock... I dont know what I have. All I know is that when I go about 2 MPH all of my doors lock. Maybe it is some other feature.
It may be the autolock just not sure. I have tried using those instructions several times and nothing happens.

Grant

EDITED:

THANKS!!! I FINALLY GOT IT!! NO MORE AUTOLOCK!
I just wish I would have deactivated that feature last year when I bought it... Its a really pointless feature...Just makes you have to constantly unlock your doors! Dont really see how anybody could like it unless they have really young kids riding in the back seats.

Grant

Originally posted by Fantasymon
. . .Dont really see how anybody could like it unless they have really young kids riding in the back seats.

Grant

Someone that makes it a habit of locking their doors anyway, so as to not get carjacked when waiting at a red light. Either I would have to lock them or unlock them. My Wife's car doesn't have the auto-lock and I find it much more annoying than having to press the un-lock button on mine to let someone in. On hers I have to lock and unlock. On mine, all I have to do is unlock to let someone in. Pulling my door handles will open the door whether they are locked or not, unlike the GM vehicles I have owned.

Can we say car-jacking.

I love this feature. I am glad that Ford thought enough to allow people to disable it and not eliminate it.

Well I would like the autolock much better if the rear doors opened from the inside too. Whenever I have people in my back seat and they try to get out, they have to raise the knob on the door to unlock it. Its kinda stupid. The front doors will open if they are locked, just not the rears.

I'm not against Ford putting the autlock feature on there, just very happy that they made a way to deactivate it.

Grant

I tried that keypad trick on my '97 and it worked the first time. Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by Fantasymon

Whats ON/ACC? Like turn ignition on or just power?

Thanks, Grant

LOL! :D Somebody should've read the owner's manual! :)

-Joe-

gijoecam--
well how the hell was i supost to know that the on/acc is when you turn the key backwards..I tried doing this with the ignition on and then once with the ignition so just the power is on. Neither worked. But when I pulled the key backwards so like just the radio works, the autlock deactivation worked. I have never had to put my key in this position before so therefore I would not know that this is the on/acc postion. I figure "on" means either battery is on or ignition is on.
Grant

My 94 Cavalier has the autolock feature, but it goes one step further. When you drive forward and exceed 5MPH all doors lock. When you stop and park, as soon as you turn the engine off, all doors unlock. I am not sure this is such a good thing for a dark parking area to have all the doors unlocked. Keep in mind that when the doors are locked you have to unlock them to open a door unlike the front doors of the Explorer. The Cavalier is a 2 door and it unlocks both door. I'm not sure if on a 4 door the back doors unlock as well. I would assume they would. I think they just trigger the all unlock button. If I remember right, this option is can not be disabled. So feel lucky that you can disable it if you want. Oh one other thing, owners manuals are a wonderful thing to answer questions. If you don't have one, Fords Owner Connections online usually have an Acrobat PDF file of the specific year owners manual. You will need your VIN number to register.

Back