can i replace the stock sub with a bigger one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can i replace the stock sub with a bigger one?

atlryder

Reaction score
I have a 93 xlt with the jbl premium sound system..im on a tight budget so i was thinking about replacing the existing sub in the back..does anybody know how big it is or how big of a sub i could fit in there..i was hoping to put in a 12 but i don't know if it will fit..do u guys think this is a good idea though? would i get better bass than im getting right now with the stock? i also want to get a better amp to power the sub..what brand names do u guys suggest for the sub and amp? remember im on a tight budget..any suggestions r appreciated..thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

car sterio review has a comparison of the custom enclosures that fit in the stock spot... check them out... the companies represented are jl, mtx, kicker, and bostwick. mtx are what i prefer. they even have powered ones so you dont have to buy a separate amp. youll only fit a 10 inch in that spot

[This message has been edited by mtxexplorer (edited 09-18-1999).]

what i did was cut a bigger hole to fit an 8"kicker solo-baric sub ($140 but pretty sure you could find one cheaper on the net)it was a pain cutting the hole all i used was a jig saw and a dremal tool to sand it down i strongley suggest a solobaric because they dont need lots of air space .as for amps i have a sony i got for about $150 at an outlet mall its a 2 channel 160 watts bridged....your stock sub is 6.5"

No The stock is 6.5

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

hey mtx..is car stereo review a magazine?? do they have a website i can go to? how much of a difference would it make replacing the stock sub with a 10 inch and a better amp? i listen to rap so i like a lot of bass

yeah sorry for not saying what it was... hehe
yes it is a magazine
i think the site is <A HREF="http://www.carstereoreview.com/

hey mtx...i checked out there site and couldn't find anything on what ur talking about..could u send me an exact link to the story? also..i know a 12 would be better..but since i can only fit a 10 im gonna get that..but will the amp fit in there too? see the thing is i don't want any trunk space taken up by a box u know? expecially since this is my mom's car..i pretty much only drive it to school and stuff so i don't want to spend a ****load of money on it..thanx

hmmmm... i see...
the article is in the MAGAZINE. the web site doesn't have the article. if they put all the articles on the web site, noone would buy the thing of the newstand.
the ten is gonna give you some good bass response, but you arent gonna get a miracle from it. you'll get more bass, but not a huge amount. my advice is to just stick with what you have and be happy with it.
plus, it would be really hard to get another amp back there. (jbl systems have two already, and they are reeeeeeally small) not to mention that you need good ventilation so the amp doesn't get too hot

i put one of my amps under the rear passenger seat but soon im going to mount both of them to the back of the rear seats the cargo-cover, covers them up nicely dont forget to bybass the factory amps

Well not to start a fight or anything...to the gentlemen who said tens wont boom....come listen to my set up. The major difference between 10'' and 12'' woofers is that 10's hit harder and tighter than 12's. 12's give you more of a deep bass. I went with two Kicker Comp and they sound awesome...and yes for the man with the 12's...i turn many aheads when i have the music going!!

Later fellas

if you run a ten off an amp, yes, it will be very tight. if you run a twelve off that same amp, it will not be as tight or as "harder hitting". Thats called power handling. now if you use an amp that fills up the RMS of the 12", your bass will be JUST as hard hitting and just as tight. It's possible to make even a 15 really hard hitting, but you need EXTREME amounts of power to push it away and pull it back real fast and powerfully. it also depends on how low you want your bass to hit. a ten isn't going to slam out a fast 30hrz bass hit, as well as a twelve, but it will hit the upper hits better, although they may oten be called "midrange".
thats just my opinion, i could be wrong

its all subjective to your opinion... there is no "right" and "wrong"

[This message has been edited by mtxexplorer (edited 09-22-1999).]

I have the same problem too I want to put a twelve in that storage bin but cant my alternative is in the works for a and hopefully will be done with in the month read my topic on sub box over wheelwell that my help you

yes Jason your right but a 15 will have higher distortion ratio then a tweleve or ten but a 15 will hit much lower then either that is why they use them people try to achieve that humm sound of realy low bass... Ive ran numerous systems and 15s I would never run again now I stay with 1 12woofer not that I dont like 10s but they dont hit quit as low as I would like both can just about achieve the same spl but I just like a little bottom end too!!!

I was looking into the 10" 'hidden' enclosures for my 95 Explorer. Particularly MTX and Kicker. It was most likely the way the store had it wired, but I didn't like how it sounded. Too hollow for me. Instead, I opted to go with two 12" Eclipse subs w/ 480 watt eclipse amp. Yes, the box is fairly big - but this setup POUNDS. The bass gain on the amp is only turned 1/4 of the way up, and the bass knob on the factory head unit NEVER goes past 1/2. At that setting, you can watch the mirros of the vehicle beside you vibrate from the low hit. Dead Link Removed I like it quite a bit. (Mainly listen to rock / metal / R&B)

I haven't moded the stereo in my Explorer yet, but I've done a lot in other vehicles. I had my CRX hitting 132 db with 2 10s and 200RMS to the pair (8ohm each, parallel). It did only go down to 33hz, but most bass "hits" are closer to 60, so that isn't a really big deal. I had all testing on it done with a Clarion RTA, which is very accurate. My current setup in my SHO is an Alpine 1002 (birth cert. claims 732 watts into a single 4 ohm load at 14.4, SHO carries a solid 15.1 at idle) driving a JL Audio 12w6, which is very solid. And an Alpine F400 for the mids and highs. I haven't put it on a metter, but it will pound!!

------------------
Danny
93SHO
91EB
www.hit.net/~danny/explorer.html

Back