Can i use manual locking hubs if i have automatic hubs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can i use manual locking hubs if i have automatic hubs?

FordExploder94

Reaction score
City, State
new england
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
hey guys just like the title says i have a 94 4x4 4door 4.0L Ford explorer

it has automatic locking hubs in the front wheels to engage the 4wd but ever since i had the truck they would never engage:roll:

so i was thinking about putting in manual locking hubs because i herd there like 100 bux cheeper. also if you guys know any stickys on changing out hubs it would be greatly appreciated, also if you know any good sites where i could ge t some cheep hubs!! thanks for all your help:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...If you look at the top of this section, there is a sticky, all about hubs...It will answer all your questions...;)

....There is also some additional info to be found in the "How to" in my signature...:D

i found it thank you

i really want to plow with this truck you think it willl work?

ok i just did this too! first you need to buy the auto to manual hub conversion kit at your local parts store its made by warn. then either buy new or track down a set of manual hubs at your local auto wrecker. then follow the instructions in the conversion kit to remove auto hub assembly and install manual hub assembly then put manual hubs in place of the autos and put your tires back on. i did mine in my driveway took only about 10 min and one beer per side. it is not overly complicated you just remove the tire, hub and hub assembly right down to (and including) the wheel nut and replace it with the manual set. then goop the hub up with grease and slide it on and put the tire back on. you will also need some mechanical aptitude or a six pack and a friend with some mechanical aptitude . and don't worrie owning a ford you learn fast. good luck. and crack one for me.:thumbsup:

P.S. i usually leave a cracked one siting on the truck somewhere for good luck it sounds silly but since i started doing it i haven't busted a nuckle or any extra parts during a repair. go figure my truck likes budwiser lol.:D:salute:

...I suggest the Dana Spicer parts for about $10 bucks per side ($20 total) over the Warn parts at about $75 bucks...

...The info can be found in the "How To" in my signature

Back