Can I use this radio in my 99 Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I use this radio in my 99 Sport?

Steeda90GT

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
My 99 Sport originally came with the CD/Cassette combo. Well the radio and CD player both don't work.

Someone local to me has one out of a 2002 XLT. It looks EXACTLY the same (front and back) however the numbers on the back are different.

Mine: XL2F-18C868-BB
His: 2L2T-18C868-DA

I notice the middle numbers are the same, does that mean anything? Will his radio work in my 99 Sport?

I was originally going to go aftermarket for about $125, but this radio is just a fraction of that cost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can read the numbers on the back, then I'll assume they are both already out of the vehicles. If so, do the mounting bolts and electrical connectors match?

This radio looks EXACTLY like mine (I saw the pic yesterday) I dont have the other unit in my hand...but the connectors and faceplate look 100% identical. He lives about 30 min from me, I just want to make sure it will work without wasting a trip (and 30min of gas!!)

I don't know for sure but I would think if the electrical connectors and mounting points are the same it should work fine.

TTT - anyone know?

check out the audio section under the sticky's they give part number codes and what not, the middle numbers are the same should mean it is the same "radio" essentially, the prefix numbers just denote what it came out of etc.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

They are both an 868 chassis. They should interchange. You can run into differences with options such as a subwoofer, overhead DVD player, etc. But if all the plugs are the same, then that shouldn't matter either.

UPDATE: So I bought the radio. Plugged it in, everything worked. Tried to slide it back in...no go. I had to swap the plastic rail guide from my radio to the 02 Radio. I also had to remove a metal bracket on the bottom of the 02 radio.

After that it slid right in...however the face plate was too big. So I swapped faceplates (put my 99 faceplate on the new radio) That seems to do the trick. Everything works, Tape, CD, Radio. Also the 02's display was MUCH more dim compared to my 99 radio.

Only issue is that the 02 radio doesn't have the locking tabs to keep the radio secure. I can't really swap them from the old radio because they appear to be riveted in. So while the radio is in there all the way, if I slam on the brakes for instance it pops out a few cm.

Id rather not use an adhesive.

Anyone that works with light metal sheeting (if they still exist) should be able to transfer the side clips.

Back