Can this '95 Explorer make it across the country? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can this '95 Explorer make it across the country?

Over the years it's been my experience that dealer service departments have no interest in very old models. I would take it to an experienced independent mechanic of good reputation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it has been maintained, I don't see why it would be a problem. I sold my '95 last year with 284k miles on it. Still was running and driving fine. My last trip with it in 2018, I drove 3500 miles to southwest Utah from Iowa and back. At least four 10,000 foot mountain passes on that ride. When it only had 105,000 miles on it, I took an 11,000 mile trip to Alaska and back. The last year or so I had it, I did limit freeway speeds to 75 even though out west speed limits of 80 were possible. It was getting to be old ya know. I find it puzzling of the engine and tranny replacement however. I sold it because I felt I was probably pushing it a little too hard on my long road trips, and that it would last somebody else longer with a bit easier life. But it was still solid and trustworthy in my opinion.

682,00 miles on my 4.0 SOHC and I would trust it anywhere. Still going strong. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

The what now?....

Holy crap, that's amazing.

These trucks are tough, but they are about twenty years old. I would follow the mechanical advice given above, and worry more about the “child” than the truck.

That said, make sure the tires are good, and maybe provide cash for any situation that comes up, and maintain communication with your child to keep yourself from worrying too much.

Good luck and take care.

The 1st Gen Explorers where builtproof. The only weak point was the A4LD trans, other than that, I never had a problem with my 91.

If your 96 model has the plastic "heater control" valve on the coolant line next to the firewall, make sure it's sound. Or better yet - replace as a precaution. As they age, they like to crack and spill out all the coolant in a less than a minute. It's easy to fix in an emergency by removing and simply bypassing that valve, but you still need a couple basic tools and a couple gallons coolant (or water) in the trunk, not to mention some basic mechanical skills, which the youngster driving cross country may not possess.

Back