Can you fit skyjacker ranger kit to an explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you fit skyjacker ranger kit to an explorer?

stoneydude

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Hi guys i'm new here. I'm looking for a new 4x4 and an explorer seems to be the best one fitting in my budget. After reading the forum countless times it appears that the 91-94 ranger and explorer have the same type of suspension. I was wondering if the skyjacker 6" kit for the ranger with the ttb would fit on the explorer. I'm sure it might have been discussed before but the search on the forums isnt very helpful. Any response would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the front part of the kit will but not the rear because explorer's leaf springs are under the axle as the rangers are over. you could order 4" superlift leaf springs and warrior shackles to even it out. or do a spring over axle conversion and it will give you 5.5" of lift.

ok so you are saying it does if i weld new leaf spring perches to the top of the axle and use the skyjacker rear leafs? or Use the stockers?

Im running a skyjacker ranger kit in my 94 Ex limited. When i got the kit for my ranger, I got the 6" rear springs. instead of the 4" and stock blocks they try to sell you.
Im running the 6" springs, spring under, with a custom extended shackle (3" longer for about 1.5" of lift). I had to make new shims to set the pinion angle exactly right, it was about 1 degree off with the skyjacker shims. that gave me just over 6" of lift in the rear, which leveled off when i threw my spare in the back.
I think flipping the axle would have been easier, but i already had the springs and my stock springs were sagging.
AS stated many times before, the front kit will fit perfect. even the extended radius arms and crossmember.

Research, research on this site.. Know what you are getting into with a 6" lift. It's unlikely that you are just looking at installing that lift kit to make it work. U-joint angles, pitman drop arm. New shocks. Research your whole build up and plan all the parts before starting.

I have the ranger 6" kit on my explorer.

I did a SOA conversion on the rear instead of the lift springs. You can use the lift springs that come with the kit, I beleive the only thing you have to do is flip the center pin and properly set the pinion angle.

Thanks for clearing all this up for me guys. As of right now I haven't bought an x yet. I just like to plan things out ahead of time so I can do them in stages and achieve my end result. I'll prob just start out with a 1" body lift and some fiber fenders and squeeze on the biggest tires I can, prob 33"s. Then when money is more plentiful for some serious mods then i'll work on suspension stuff. I'm still in college and i read the sticky on the millionaire next door and such. Its a very good book. Just wanted to know some more options i have in the future. Thanks again for the help. Happy wheeling.:exporange

Oh also, how big of a tire could you fit with the mcneil fiberglass fenders on a stock suspension? Does anyone know?

Back